Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Setting Up Your Scope by Jerry Teo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Writers Guild

Re: Setting Up Your Scope by Jerry Teo

Glad you found the article useful.

Good luck with the tests.

Jerry
Old 12-18-2011, 10:03 PM

I am just getting into long range shooting I have a tikka t3 7 mm rem mag i shoot a 150 gr and have a bushnell 6500 DOA as i use this for hunting, but with the dots for my yardage i find it very hard to get great shots on targets because of such big dots , and it becomes just a guess where to pin point target. i can hit a 12 circle at 200 but the dot covers it up. i seen some TTC turrets that is set for yardage that will fit on my scope. I would a better scope that I can have better results, cost for a scope would be ? looking to shoot out to 800 yards, or what do you suggest. thanks. canada
Old 12-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Writers Guild

Conventional reticle, ballistics program, proper turrets. Dial the elevation to suit your load and distance.

If you are looking for a better scope, send me an email at info@mysticprecision.com

Jerry
Old 12-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akafarmer View Post
I am just getting into long range shooting I have a tikka t3 7 mm rem mag i shoot a 150 gr and have a bushnell 6500 DOA as i use this for hunting, but with the dots for my yardage i find it very hard to get great shots on targets because of such big dots , and it becomes just a guess where to pin point target. i can hit a 12 circle at 200 but the dot covers it up. i seen some TTC turrets that is set for yardage that will fit on my scope. I would a better scope that I can have better results, cost for a scope would be ? looking to shoot out to 800 yards, or what do you suggest. thanks. canada
akafarmer,

According to Bushnell the dots subtend a MOA. On a SFP scope, the smallest subtensions will be at the highest magnification. If your dot is covering 6 MOA at 200 yards, you must be on a lower magnification. Try increasing your magnification to make the dot appear smaller at a given range. At 200 yards, the dot will cover 2" at the highest power. If the wobble is exaggerated too much at the highest magnification, back the power off until you are comfortable. Whenever possible, use a rest of some sort to mitigate the wobble; you will then be able to use higher magnification comfortably. I hope this helps. I have included a link to the Bushnell PDF. http://www.bushnell.com/downloads/ca...iflescopes.pdf

Tim
Old 01-04-2012, 11:11 AM

Hey Jerry,
I am also shooting a .308, out of a Winchester M70. I do use it for mostly hunting but am starting to shoot some longer ranges as well. Right now I have my scope 0'ed at 100yds. A couple of friends told me it should be 0'ed at 1 1/2" high at 100yds, and I read that it should be 0'ed at 3" high at 100yds so basically out to 280yds it is a center of body hold and you're in the kill zone. What are your thoughts.

Thanks,

Slauger
Old 01-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Writers Guild

No right or wrong answer. Just depends on how you want to use your rifle.

Most will zero at 100yds so their ballistics chart makes sense.

however, all ballistics program allow you to put in a different zero and will change the numbers downrange accordingly.

it's all good.

Jerry
Old 04-23-2012, 10:41 AM

I am new to making scope adjustments and I do not understand the resaon for converting the drop from inches to MOA. Why cant you simply adjust the number of clicks that equals the number of inches of drop?

Are there any books that would help me to understand this?

Thank you,

Tracy