Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Savage Tactical Rifle Project By Jerry Teo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Savage Tactical Rifle Project By Jerry Teo

Quote:
Based on the overwhelming response to my previous article, Long Range Rifle On A Budget, Len and I discussed creating an article to walk you through a rifle build using a Savage rifle. The goal was to show you what could be done simply and inexpensively to turn a vanilla grade rifle into a tack driving custom. To ensure the tack driving part of the equation, we were able to get support from Shilen Rifles Inc and Berger Bullets. Shilen Rifles supplied me with one of their superb SS Select Match prethreaded and chambered barrels ready for headspacing, while Berger Bullets supplied their match grade 22cal 80gr VLD to get the most out of the barrel. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Savage Tactical Rifle Project, By Jerry Teo. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage Tactical Rifle Project By Jerry Teo

Nice job Jerry. I really like what you did with the stock. Just shows that you don't have to throw away the plastic stock.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:39 AM
Silver Member

jerry what you do with a standard factory rifle and the end product is impressive.
i am currently in the process of attempting to do something similar. have put a stevens action into a choate varmint stock. after seeing what you did to the plastic stock im going to try something similar.
saving for a trueflite barrel( local nz maker)
could you elaborate on the timing of the bolt handle... eg how you did it, the process ect.
cheers
rob
Old 08-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member

Jerry,

Great reading, awesome job, beautiful work... What else can I say?

You are an artist, that's art... Not as easy for a none gifted person

like me. My friend geargrinder is working on a little project for me, The

only person that likes him. We'll see how it turns out.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 08-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Silver Member

Jerry,

I loved the stock that you built you have me started on my own stock. I have a couple of questions.

What did you do to the shilen barrel to fit the rail system? could you just modify the rail?

On the stock for your cheek rest did you modify a piece of 2x4 or did you use plywood?

To fit the pistol grip to the stock did you just inser a piece of wood right behind were the trigger gaurds screws in?

Thanks for your time.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

This was a decent article about modifying a synthetic stock. If you're looking at getting a custom stock, and you have some time on your hands, its a good example of what you can do with the "takeoff" stock. I liked the article for this reason.

What I hoped to see in this article was some description (&pics) of swapping a savage barrel, timing & replacing the bolt handle, adjusting the trigger and even swapping the bolt face. The article mentioned these activities but lacked any description. I don't discount the article for glossing over these details, just wasn't what I expected.

My savage rifle will be here soon and I'm interested in swapping barrels, which is what caught my interest in this topic.

I'll do a search on the forums and see what pops up.

Maybe someone can point me to a good post or site for more info on the action & barrel specifically?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Bronze Member

Marvelous, simply marvelous!