Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Reticle Perpendicularity by Darrell Holland

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Reticle Perpendicularity by Darrell Holland

I probably misunderstood you, and I agree that a scope level is critical.

I don't feel that just any(of the many) are right for the application though.
The only version I use/will use, is this: Scoplevel Anti Cant Leveling Device
It's not fancy, some think too cheap, but I haven't had one fail yet.
It allows me to level my scope ADJUSTMENT, independent of the gun.
In fact, once set on a scope, I can move that scope from gun to gun without a need to adjust level -ever again.
I can also see it from shooting position, straight forward of my shooting eye/axis, without affecting cheek weld.

I've been waiting for & surprised that nobody has made a metal 'tactical' version, with switchable LED lighting of the bubble.
Gonna jump on that if they do it right.

Unread 01-17-2012, 12:26 PM

What a great article. excellent refresher. Thank you Darrell.
Unread 05-12-2017, 02:27 PM

Even a reticle that is canted 45 degrees is as perpendicular to the bore as any other. The entire sight plane is roughly perpendicular to the bore on a correctly mounted scope, without regard to the reticle's position on the sight plane. The horizontal axis of the reticle needs to be level when the rifle is in the shooting position.

The explanation of the Coriolis effect is incorrect as well as only points on the equator move rotate at that speed. The author leaves out the rest of the globe where rotational speed on the earths surface decrease as points near the poles. The main impact of the Coriolis effect derives from the truth that points at differing distances from the equator are moving at different speeds, thus unless the shooter and target are at precisely the same latitude, one must account for the differing relative speeds of the shooter and the target.

At least the solution described addresses a common issue, incongruent rifle/scope cant, albeit not the issue that the writer described.
Unread 05-12-2017, 03:21 PM

"Gentlemen,

Yes, we see alot of shooters who cant the rifle. The easiest cure is to purchase a scope level and mount it on the scope tube ( do so when we are making the reticle plumb with the rifle in the vise) This is a great truth detector and will aid you in long range shooting. If Len okays it, I'll do an article as to the effect of reticle cant at long range.

Sincerely

Darrell Holland"

"Cure"? Seriously, "Cure"? As if canting a rifle is a disease? I would submit that if a shooters execution of the fundamentals is best done with a canted rifle, that it is a narrow attitude that "what is best for me is best for everyone" is more of an issue than said canted rifle. If the cant of the rifle is congruous with the cant of the scope upon it, the maximum total detrimental effect of such is the distance of the scope height over bore(2 inches or less on most bolt Guns, 2.6 inches on most AR's) AT ANY DISTANCE. This is while every miscue in the correct application of the fundamentals is magnified by the distance, as are errors in estimating wind, range, and most other variables. When the max error for something is 2-2.6 inches at 1500 yards, I would not put that thing before the correct execution of the fundamentals and developing mastery of wind and range estimation.
Unread 05-12-2017, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Courtney View Post
"Gentlemen,

Yes, we see alot of shooters who cant the rifle. The easiest cure is to purchase a scope level and mount it on the scope tube ( do so when we are making the reticle plumb with the rifle in the vise) This is a great truth detector and will aid you in long range shooting. If Len okays it, I'll do an article as to the effect of reticle cant at long range.

Sincerely

Darrell Holland"

"Cure"? Seriously, "Cure"? As if canting a rifle is a disease? I would submit that if a shooters execution of the fundamentals is best done with a canted rifle, that it is a narrow attitude that "what is best for me is best for everyone" is more of an issue than said canted rifle. If the cant of the rifle is congruous with the cant of the scope upon it, the maximum total detrimental effect of such is the distance of the scope height over bore(2 inches or less on most bolt Guns, 2.6 inches on most AR's) AT ANY DISTANCE. This is while every miscue in the correct application of the fundamentals is magnified by the distance, as are errors in estimating wind, range, and most other variables. When the max error for something is 2-2.6 inches at 1500 yards, I would not put that thing before the correct execution of the fundamentals and developing mastery of wind and range estimation.
You need to re read that whole article there is a lot in it for your to learn!!!!
Unread 05-12-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
You need to re read that whole article there is a lot in it for your to learn!!!!
There is some good, accurate information in the article, but nothing that I did not already know. The good things in it are eclipsed by partial and incorrect information. Can you actually refute any of my points, or is hurling insults the only thing that you can do?