Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Reticle Perpendicularity by Darrell Holland

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Bronze Member

Thank you, glad to know the background of your method! Always helps to know the reasoning, as well as the background behind a method.
Thanks again.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:02 AM
SPONSOR

Reticle Perp.

Dear Wayne,

You are welcome, now go forth and do GREAT things with your rifle. Always watch for the wind, gravity is a constant, its the wind that usually bites our backside!!!

Good luck,

Darrell Holland
Old 04-06-2008, 05:24 AM
Platinum Member

This is a great approach to achieving true tracking(which is what matters) for all of us who dial in elevation. Very easy to do.

After verifying a new scope tracks true vertically(as described), I can move it from rifle to rifle and mount it level without looking through the scope at all. Just levelling the turret top to the level rifle on my bench. The 'level rifle' being the only trick.
I have done this many times with my 'reference' scope.

ALso, one thing I have validated GH hunting in hilly PA; You cannot judge true level.
An installed ScopeLevel is a must.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:52 AM
SPONSOR

Mikecr

Dear Mike,

Imagine the potential if youused the same mounting system on ALL your rifles. ( I like the Picatinny rail and MK. 4 rings)

You can plumb the scope in one set of rings and change from rifle to rifle with the same repeatability!

We can have a high magnification scope for load developement and exchange for our hunting scope in a matter of seconds.

Give it some thought, you may find it as useful as I have???

Best of luck in your shooting endeavors...

Sincerely

Darrell Holland
Old 04-12-2008, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Holland View Post
Gentlemen,

Yes, we see alot of shooters who cant the rifle. The easiest cure is to purchase a scope level and mount it on the scope tube ( do so when we are making the reticle plumb with the rifle in the vise) This is a great truth detector and will aid you in long range shooting. If Len okays it, I'll do an article as to the effect of reticle cant at long range.

Sincerely

Darrell Holland

David Tubbs advocates canting the rifle and plumbing the reticle. He mounts his scope so as that the reticle is plumb with the rifle canted and Mr. Tubbs maintains that by moveing the scope to ones eye rather than moving ones head, provides for a more ridgid lock up
Old 04-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Gold Member

Mr Holland, wish I had found your article earlier and then I wouldn't have had to work through it myself. I have a 300 win mag with a Kahles MultiZero and experienced the rotational symptoms you talked about

so I made myself a crude sketch and figured out that when cranking for elevation the crosshairs were actually traveling along a divergent line and cause the problem

the reticle moves along line A which would cause you to raise the rifle to point G and when you move the point of aim to center it would actually move the POI to point H and thus along line D. I solved this by slight scope rotation just as you suggest.

That started me thinking about cant and eventually I got the level-level-level and an anti-cant bubble for the scope

What do you think about the EXD device? EXD ENGINEERING VERTICAL RETICLE INSTRUMENT at Brownells

Someone mentioned David Tubbs cants his rifle. That's and understatement!

Last edited by woods; 08-31-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:08 AM
SPONSOR

Reticle Perpendicularity

Gentlemen,

The Tubb method of rifle canting is used more in the Hi-Power world. The canting of the rifle is achieved by raidial holes drilled and tapped in the receiver. This allows the sight/scope to still be perpendicualr to the bore. Once offest in this fashion the level is installed to maintain the same relationship when mounting the rifle. Again this is used mostly in the Hi-Power world and is not practical in a hunting rifle as the mount holes are drill on center/perpendicular to the receiver in virtually all production rifles. The Tubb 2000 is the ONLY rifle that I'm aware of that offers this feature.

Occasionally we will see a competitor using a canted scope and rifle, he must adjust elevation and windage to shoot at a specified range. This is not practical nor reccomended for the hunter.

Congrats to the gentlemen who used our method to adjust reticle perpendicularity on his Khales rifle scope, nice photo's and diagrams. I wish I were that handy with a computer?

Give some thought to attending our long range shooting schools next year, you'll have a great time and come away a better shot.

Thanks again for the opportunity to share our knowledge on long range shooting.

Sincerely

Darrell Holland