Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Reloading - Looking After The Brass Cartridge Case By Matthew Cameron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 11:27 AM
Silver Member

Re: Reloading - Looking After The Brass Cartridge Case By Matthew Cameron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT2506 View Post
If you want to find out how far it is to the lands with a particular bullet here is a cheap way to do it.

Take a unprimed case and full length size it and trim it to length. Now take a cutting tool like a hack saw or drimel and cut a line from the mouth of the case down to half way into the shoulder area. Before each use full length size or just squeeze the neck tighter with your fingers. Just start a bullet into the case with your fingers. Now slip it into the chamber and close the bolt. Open the bolt and ease the round out. The bullet should have been pushed back into the case when it hit the lands. This is the to the lands OAL. Measure the OAL and start seating the bullet however deeper, away from the lands you want to try. You can pull this bullet out of the case with your fingers when you get done and use it. You will need to do this with every bullt make and weight.
I do something similar, except for one thing. I use a case that has a split neck instead. The bullet is easily pulled out just as you describe with your method.
It seems you came up with your method long before I did mine. I have a lot split necks in old brass to chose from.
A couple of times when I spotted a neck partially split, when I seated a bullet, it would complete the split and work well. However, if the neck didn't finish splitting when seating the bullet, it didn't work well.

Spencer