Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Recoil Management

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 03:54 PM
Official Sponsor of LRH

Re: Recoil Management

WE have been working for a year and a half to prefect a recoil mitigation device for our 50 caliber rifle. All the users we have talked to about the project are very excited. The Isrealis limit their shooters to 10 rounds (50 cal) per day. The Canadians put off refurbishing all of the 50 caliber rifles for a year until we could prove to them this will work. They shoot more rounds through their McMillan 50's than any other unit using them and believe that not only will it prevent long term damage to shooters but will make each shooter better. They will be here next week for the final analysis. Our as well as the Canadians tests show more than 80% reduction in recoil over our standard Tac-50. The test fixture we both used (they duplicated our fixture so that our data would be common to both fixtures) show that our standard Tac-50 with a suppressor (and don't be confused, suppressors do not work like muzzle breaks) yields about 10,000 units of energy where our Tac-50 R2 (mitigated version) yields less than 1000 on average.

Once we finish the Tac-50 version we immediately go to a .338 Lapua version we have in the works already.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:06 PM
Silver Member

My father came up with a constant recoil force algorithm for the M55, M107, M110, and XM70.
The XM70 deals with recoil on the forward and rear stroke.
It is best explained in United States Patent US4353285.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Official Sponsor of LRH

Not having any idea what your fathers patent is about, I will say, everything from the size of the shooter, how he positions himself, temperature and atmospheric conditions effect how the recoil is perceived by the shooter. We even developed a fixture that would move during the recoil to more closely represent the movement of a shooter. To actually establish "a felt recoil " base line you have to take all of this into consideration. We actually put load cells and accelerometers on a shooter to see how the energy is transmitted during actual recoil. Cool stuff.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Silver Member

Here is the patent
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4353285.pdfT

There is more than one problem with recoil.
As you said there is the acceleration on the parts of the body.
There is the peak pressure on the skin. That is why large recoil pad areas, and recoil pads compliant to people shape, help.

Anecdotally, I have spoken with two guys over the last 15 years of going to gun shows, that just got detached retinas from recoil.

When my father designed the M55 about 55 years ago, they put acceleration on the barrel and used what passed for storage scopes back then. Force looked like a square wave.
The feature of parabolic tapered hydraulics is that the force is constant. If a hot load is fired, it is a larger constant, but the force is constant over the recoil stroke.

When I was just turned 5 years old playing in the water, I could not figure out how the water knew that the air was inside an inner tube. I lacked Archimedes' concept of density.
When I was 55 years old and looked at my father's hydraulic recoil mechanism, I could not figure out how a cylinder knew how much force to resist at each point. I did not see that the orifice area is changing and the oil velocity is changing.

Last edited by Clark; 09-14-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
CompStock Shotgun Stock - BLACKHAWK!

Shouldn't the two lines have the same area under the curve?
Where are the time domain units?
Where are the force range units?

"Osciliscope Trace"?
I have heard of an "Oscilloscope trace"
hmm quite impressive work clark........
Old 09-26-2011, 04:50 PM
Silver Member

my link is no good.

Here
Recoil force correction for elevation in automatic weapons employing soft recoil
Old 10-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Silver Member

just curious; does anyone know how common this detached retina problem is? and what sort of rounds are causing it? is it only really a worry as one ages? could someone share their experience? how it felt, what you saw, etc. sorry just interested for future reference.