Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Recoil Management

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Recoil Management

Quote:
Have you ever gotten home after a day at the range and reached up to your shoulder to feel the soreness, and then tried to rotate your arm, only to find out it hurt? If so, you are not alone in this sport. Recoil is a natural consequence of shooting. For you young shooters who can shoot anything up to a bazooka without feeling the effects of recoil, just wait. The effects of recoil to the body can be felt from your eyes to your toes. It will take its toll on your hands, wrists, shoulders, neck and right down your spine. Old injuries will stick up their ugly heads. Age has a lot to do with it also. Not only does it affect you physically, it can mess with your concentration also. The major problem it can cause is flinching, which in turn causes a loss of accuracy and more importantly a loss of confidence in your own shooting ability.
Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Recoil Management: Take The “Ouch” Out Of Shooting, By John Johnston. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

What's new at the...

Long Range Hunting Gear and Supplies
Old 06-30-2011, 04:12 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Recoil Management

Enjoyed the reading! Thanks!

There is a great range of recoil sensitivity among shooters; from extremely sensitive to amazing resistance to recoil. My youngest has not been bothered by recoil even when shooting a Remington sporter 300 RUM LSS without muzzle brake at max loads using 210 gr. bullets and he grouped it pretty nicely at 700 yards too.

This is all true but I'm out to advice him... I'm 56 y/o and... He won't have to wait...

"The effects of recoil to the body can be felt from your eyes to your toes" I'll have to agree!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 06-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

I read through a couple of times, but could not find what if any change in overall rifle weight occurred with this stock change.
Age having a lot to do with it is an understatement.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

Actually weight change depends on the rifle and which stock you use. The Winchester was a little heavier and the Remington a bit lighter. Sorry I cannot be more specific. Neither Blackhawk stock was overly heavy.

Last edited by olsingleshot; 07-01-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:11 AM
Silver Member

This was a timely written article because many "baby boomers" are now having the retirement time to pickup LRH. John wrote about many of the bad habits we bring with us ; for example shotgunners crawling or creeping the stock with their cheek-weld. We are getting to the age that even us ironmen are getting detached retinas, hearing aids and arthritis of the shoulder. These stocks combined with the new technology in recoil pads (compositions like Sorbothane, flared -increased surface area, gel filled pads, contour to fit the natural shape of the shoulder rather than just squared off, toe of the pad kicked out, proper pitch angle) all these techniques once thought only for custom shotguns can extend our LRH shooting careers and still hear the cell phone ring. Great topic, well covered and next to a good trigger job probably one of the best tweaks you can do to improve accuracy.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

CompStock Shotgun Stock - BLACKHAWK!

Shouldn't the two lines have the same area under the curve?
Where are the time domain units?
Where are the force range units?

"Osciliscope Trace"?
I have heard of an "Oscilloscope trace"
Old 09-14-2011, 07:29 AM
Silver Member

Wow! That is way over my head. You need to ask the Blackhawk/Knoxx engineers. But in the long run it is the shooter that decides the reduction value, due to the rifle design, caliber, how they mount the rifle and the position they are in when shooting.

Last edited by olsingleshot; 09-14-2011 at 07:32 AM.