Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Reading The Wind by Shawn Carlock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Sponsor

You are correct and I believe it was the Germans who first looked at it in terms of application with projectiles in the mid 1800's if memory serves me correctly.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 08-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Reading The Wind by Shawn Carlock

Shawn,

This is the second time that i've read your article on wind . I always enjoy reading your articles . I believe i'm going to print off your wind reading NOTES and take them with me to practice this weekend. Hunting seasons coming up and i've got a place picked out on the top of the mountain just above my dads hunting club I can see his food plott. He makes fun of me with my computer stuff he says prove it, so I've got my kestrel 3500 and my nightforce software on my dell pc . He better hope he's not sitting in his shooting house and a slick head steps out into the food plott cause I'm gonna send a screamin 210 grain berger out of my 300rum her way

One question Shawn were can I get an ammunition holder like your dad has in the picture?

Bigbuck
Old 08-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Sponsor

We get those from Blackhawk Industries.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 03-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Silver Member

Shawn,
I hope you're still receiving notice of the threads to your article as this posting is quite old. The one thing I find fascinating is in the time between now and the time you wrote the article, not much has changed, other than some equipment has become more technically advanced. I should add that reloading supplies are also a lot harder to come by at times also. I find your article very informative.
I am a newbie to long range hunting, having my first LRH rifle built last year. I have spent the past decade competitively trapshooting, winning a few State championships along the way. This new sport has started to consume me and I can't get enough articles and videos to fulfill my zeal for it. I want to give you a thousand yards of thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.
I have a question? In perusing your website pictures I noticed that there are many pictures of competitive shoots. Where are these held and are they open to other folks? If they aren't open for other shooters, how about folks to watch them?
I live in southern Idaho and also have property in the Clearwater area I stay at several months a year. It appears to me, after perusing the pictures, that I am familiar with some of the areas they have been taken.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Sponsor

I still get them, thanks on the article. On the matches, check the westcoasttactical website they have a match listing thread and several were/are held in the Boise area. Where do you have property?

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 01-18-2012, 04:47 PM

Good read. However I don't agree with him at all with the part of holding for a small wind correction and dialing for a big wind correction, and that if it's a big correction he will hold off the shot to see why he missed that badly.
Here's the exact quote
"If I need to fire a follow up shot because of poor windage and the correction is small I hold off, if it is a big correction I dial the correction (if the correction is big I am a lot more likely to stop and see what I have done wrong as long as I have not made a poor hit on the animal).
I do not like to hold off for wind as this is just not accurate enough for the shots and distances I want to work at."

IMO this is just flat out wrong. Regardless of what the hold is, if you saw the first impact regardless of amount of change, make the second shot as fast as you can before the conditions change and hold the amount you saw on the first miss. Why stop and let the conditions change??? now you have to start from scratch. Just hold the wind and read it, if it get's stronger hold a little more, if it gets weaker, hold a little less. But regardless, make the second shot as fast as you can in the conditions you made the first one.
I also don't agree with the last statement, that holding isn't accurate enough, really??? why is that? I hold all my wind, always have to distance out to 1000y. Again, IMO wind is too dynamic and changes too rapidly to dial it. By the time you dial it, it's probably changed enough to make your dial correction slightly off, so IMO it's actually less accurate than holding, which allows you to make the change for the conditions RIGHT NOW, not 30 seconds ago.

I'm a tactical shooter but this applies in both practices, whether target is an animal or otherwise.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Sponsor

Interesting...... everyone has their opinions. I find it kind of unusual that someone would come out on their first post here to declare a technique "wrong". Techniques are what they are, some work for some people and some don't. If you like what you are doing then by all means keep doing it. I am willing to bet that I can use my techniques to place long range shots as well as anyone, so to declare them to be flatly "wrong" seems to be over stepping your bounds and knowledge. As the members of this site know I don't do internet ******* matches so this will be my only comment on this.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659