Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Precision Shooting 1-Part 2: Optics, Data and Logic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Precision Shooting 1-Part 2: Optics, Data and Logic

Quote:
There are so many different kinds of binoculars to choose from. With the natural world unbelievably rich in diversity with so many different landscapes, light and weather conditions, every one of us has specific needs and expectations from "our" binoculars. Because of this, using two different kinds of binoculars can be a necessity. For instance, compare the hazy, smoggy and sunny environment of the San Fernando Valley in the City of Los Angeles to the clear crisp air of the Colorado Rockies. Just the thought should change your mindset as the contrast between these two areas is obvious and there is quite a bit to take into account.
Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Precision Shooting 1-Part 2: Optics, Data and Logic, By Ward Brien. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

What's new at the...

Long Range Hunting Gear and Supplies
Old 04-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Silver Member

Re: Precision Shooting 1-Part 2: Optics, Data and Logic

Nice, well written and easy to understand.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:48 AM
Bronze Member

mutch to digest.
I just saved to .doc and will read soon.
A lot of good info there during my quick scan.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Bronze Member

Thank you Ward for the very informative article. I am, however, still confused by the following statement you made concerning the Shadow Effect:

If the sunlight is behind you, it will cause a .25 moa drop. If you zeroed your rifle in sunlight, and you then shoot in cloud cover or heavy overcast, the bullet’s point of impact will be low, .5 moa. This is caused by “Shadow Effect.”

If you take away the environmental cause of a .25 MOA drop (sunlight behind), wouldn't that result in the gun shooting higher, not lower? What am I missing?

Thanks,

Marc
Old 05-03-2011, 01:00 PM

Wow one of the best written pieces I have seen in a while! Great information, thank you for putting this together.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Silver Member

I enjoyed the article very much Ward. I had no idea about light bending.
Always something to learn.
Send me a PM and I can pass somethign on to you.
Thank you for taking the time to put all this information
together so that us hunters can understand it.
Without a doubt I can and will read the article again and again and
most likely learn something each time.
Excellent job.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Silver Member

Hello Bart at Nikon prostaff. 2 questions. There is no doubt in my mind that a A.O. is sharper than a S.F., Ive been told it is because there is less glass in them is this true. Secondly Nikon Monarchs do not have a long enough tube length to be placed comfortabley on rifles that use integral mounts. There is no concern with sharpness or quality, does Nikon have a scope for intergral mounts, The eye relief distance arqument is absolutely not valid on adjustables of any manufacturer when turned up to the higher magnifications. Looking for a scope to reccomend.