Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Precision Shooting 1-Part 1: The Basics of Your Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Precision Shooting 1-Part 1: The Basics of Your Rifle

Quote:
As you are probably aware, rifles are built from several components. These components in general, usually consist of a rifle stock, barrel and receiver and as with other mechanical devices in our lives, such as cars, trucks, airplanes and bicycles, your rifle must be maintained.

You would probably not ride a bicycle with loose wheel nuts. This would obviously cause the wheels to wobble, come loose, lead to other problems and perhaps even fall off. On the other hand, a person would not assemble the wheels too tight either. This is because the bearings in the wheels could quite possibly bind. The point here is that the components of your rifle need to be assembled and kept at the manufacturer's specifications.
Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Precision Shooting 1-Part 1: The Basics of Your Rifle, By Ward Brien. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

What's new at the...

Long Range Hunting Gear and Supplies
Old 03-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Silver Member

Re: Precision Shooting 1-Part 1: The Basics of Your Rifle

Very informative article thank you
Old 03-23-2011, 05:03 PM

Informative article. I was particularly interested in the electrochemical rifling process. I've not heard of it before. I wonder which manufacturer is using this process and I'd like to know how the end result compares to button/cut/hammer forged.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Gold Member

Another copper solvent that I have had extremely good luck with is Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner, I have used Hoppe's No. 9 Benchrest copper solvent for a few years, and the Gunslick will still remove copper out of a barrel that has just been cleaned with Hoppe's Benchrest or Butch's Bore Shine.

It is also a lot less work and not ammonia based, so... no worries about etching the barrel.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:02 AM
Silver Member

The LOP paragraph remark about shotguns is folklore. Length of neck, shoulder width, musculature (obesity), face shape, cheek bone shape and eye set and even stock pitch are just some of the variables...and since the eye is the rear sight on a shotgun this is most important with shotgun sports that require a fast smooth consistent gun mount like hunting, sporting clays and international skeet. Wish it were that simple to just lay the shotgun across your strong side forearm and extend it till the last digit pad fit on the trigger BUT it doesn't. It is so critical on a shotgun that they should come with two thicknesses of recoil pads; one for warm weather and a shorter one for cold bundled-up weather.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Bronze Member

Ward, what exactly do you mean by a "20 moa rail"? Please explain it in detail for me.
Regards,
Manny
Old 05-28-2011, 12:37 PM
SPONSOR

Here is a link to the definition of what a Picatinny Rail is:

Picatinny rail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a link defining what minute of angle is.

Minute of Angle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some rails are flat, some have 10 minute of angle of slope in them and some 20, some 40. With 20 Minute of Angle of Slope built into the rail, it allows you to dial more minute of angle of adjustment of elevation into your scope allowing you to shoot longer distances.