Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Precision Reloading For Long Range Hunting by Jerry Teo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 08:53 PM

Re: Precision Reloading For Long Range Hunting by Jerry Teo

I am new to reloading and i wondering if you could tell me what is the best bullets,powder and primers for shooting long range with 300winmag ,308and 223?
Old 12-30-2011, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURVIS6 View Post
I am new to reloading and i wondering if you could tell me what is the best bullets,powder and primers for shooting long range with 300winmag ,308and 223?
The very first thing you need (other than equipment) is a recipe book. Hornady, Speer, Lee and (I believe everyone that manufactures dies has one).

Do some reading and determine what you need.

Myself (personal preference), I tend to use Joyce Hornady projectiles, especially in .223 cases and I buy once fired .223 cases in bulk.

Always (if possible) buy your expendables in bulk. The 50 packs and 100 packs of bullets and the 100 bags of brass and pints of powder at your local sporting goods emporium are great for starting out, but aren't cost saving.

Reloading is about custom ballistics but it's also about cost savings over factory loaded rounds......... (hint..I reload because I'm cheap...)

I want to buy my projectiles (especially .223) in thousands, powder in bulk (at least 8 pound jugs, preferably 45 pound kegs) and brass in bulk. The Internet is rife with suppliers that sell in bulk. Just do some looking.

Then there is equipment.......

And, of course, opinions........
Old 01-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Writers Guild

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoverp View Post
Hi there , just wondering what Die and seater set you would recommend for my Savage 110 FCP in 338 Lapua Mag.

Forster 2 FL die set, getting the FL die custom honed out for about 2-3 thous. neck tension on a seated bullet and the competition micrometer seater ,

OR
Redding Bushing bump 3 die set that does the neck seperately, and has a body die to bump the shoulder back and do the body taper. along with the comp . seater die. its about 300 bucks last I looked.

I just dont know the Lapua brand 338 LM brass too well, it seems real thick so I dont know if I will be FL sizing all the time. and dont want to create more of a donut inn the neck shoulder junction with a bushing die setup.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Patrick
I prefer to neck size, body size then seat. If the FL sizer matches your chamber well, then that works good as any method. The problem is what if it doesn't match?

I am sure intime, other companies will get on the 338LM bandwagon and start offering dies. I would love to see Lee make a collet neck die - that would be my first choice.

Then Redding body die and Forster BR seater.

Not always possible but the combo of dies I use in my rifles.

Jerry
Old 03-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Bronze Member

I love coming back and reading old articles, I always seem to learn somehting new every time.

I'm wondering how your Winchester case prep method has changed over the years; more specifically, case volume.

For 7WSM, there's 300WSM Norma brass I could neck down or I could buy straight 7WSM brass from Winchester. I always though I could buy 250 cases, weight sort them, and sell off the 50 that fall outside a bellcurve; however, after reading your article again, you mention this isn't worth it due to machining tolerances.

Should I prime the cases and use some fine powder to sort the cases by volume (after preping) or should I just buy 200 and hope that the Winchester brand brass is to the same standards as Norma?

Thanks Jerry,
Kevin
We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing. ― Charles Bukowski

Only precise rifles are interesting.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:03 AM
Writers Guild

Recent shooting with Norma brass impressed with how well it was made. And it was also quite durable.

Will Win be as good out of the bag? Highly unlikely but you can prep that brass and make it very good.

I have a 7-300WSM project on the go and will use Win 270WSM brass to start. I will do all the basic prep from fireforming to neck turning.

Comparing case volumes after can be beneficial and educational.

In time, I might grab some Norma 300WSM to compare.

Just got some Norma 223 for my FTR rifle and look forward to testing that .... if the snow ever melts.

Annealing is now a big part of my reloading process and I am doing it every 3 to 4 firings. If time permited, I would be doing it every other firing

Jerry
Old 03-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Bronze Member

Ha, the snow hasn't melted there yet? I'm in Winterpeg and it's almost all gone, but I guess you're higher up.

Thanks for the reply though, look forward to hearing about the process. My experience with the Lapua 223 brass hasn't led me to learn anything new about case prep or fire forming; I just loaded and shot it! Are you going to run your 270WSM brass through a neck die or just load it up with cream of wheat and pistol powder and fire from it?
We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing. ― Charles Bukowski

Only precise rifles are interesting.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Writers Guild

FF with pistol powder and cornmeal.

Simple and effective.

Jerry