Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Precision Reloading For Long Range Hunting by Jerry Teo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Precision Reloading For Long Range Hunting by Jerry Teo

Did you click on the title on intro, I just did it, second time I have read it
Old 09-20-2011, 05:31 AM
Silver Member

hey jerry.
thanks for the great article.
got alot from it. i was wondering if you could mention a little more on the load development process you use. eg how you chose powder increments, what you look for ect, things to avoid. min shots to get good info. just all the tricks you have aquired though you experience.
cheers
rob
Old 09-26-2011, 09:53 AM
Writers Guild

Precision Reloading For Long Range Hunting

Here is an article that will help.

I also have a couple more on my website mysticprecision.com.

Look in the tech section.

Glad you enjoyed the article.

Enjoy and good luck.

Jerry
Old 10-08-2011, 10:00 PM

Excellent article. Could you please give some advice on the best way to fire form brass. There seems to be a lot of suggestions out there.
Thanks
Old 10-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Writers Guild

My personal method is to use a light charge of pistol powder behind cornmeal filled to the base of the neck. A small piece of paper towel pushed gently into the neck holds this mess in place.

Fire at your rifle range, clean often and voila - fireformed cases. If you are improving a case, this method will get you a 90% formed shoulder, plenty good for the first full pressure loading.

With any fireforming the goal is to ensure the parent case is expanded to fill the chamber dimensions without excessive stretching of the case web. If a case is undersized and a full pressure load fired, the web may stretch to the point where a couple of future firings cause a split.

By careful sizing/matching to the chamber or using a low pressure method like the cornmeal method, the brass can be eased into shape.

Once proper headspace is established and maintained, high pressures can be introduced with little stretching and long case life.

Jerry
Old 12-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: CCI Primers for mag use(7MM STW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by parothead View Post
Do the CCI BR 2 Primers work well for mag rounds as well? Thanks for a great article.

PH
They can..but around here you pay a PREMIUM for BR primers
Old 12-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Bronze Member

Hi there , just wondering what Die and seater set you would recommend for my Savage 110 FCP in 338 Lapua Mag.

Forster 2 FL die set, getting the FL die custom honed out for about 2-3 thous. neck tension on a seated bullet and the competition micrometer seater ,

OR
Redding Bushing bump 3 die set that does the neck seperately, and has a body die to bump the shoulder back and do the body taper. along with the comp . seater die. its about 300 bucks last I looked.

I just dont know the Lapua brand 338 LM brass too well, it seems real thick so I dont know if I will be FL sizing all the time. and dont want to create more of a donut inn the neck shoulder junction with a bushing die setup.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Patrick