Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter Two: Bullet Prep By Tres MonCeret

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 09:08 PM

Re: Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter Two: Bullet Prep By Tres MonCeret

Tresmon,

Very good read and I too am waiting for the upcoming 3rd Chapter. I have taught my son-in-law to shoot and hand load in the last year. He case preps by your instructions. 2 weeks ago he was at the range and fired a 0.153" group (only 3 so I guess it don't count) with his essentially stock 10FP, 308 Win, 175 SMK, Varget,Rem, CCI BR2---at 200 yds.

This puts me in a serious predicament. All my life I have had to live with the fact that my brother can out shoot me - TS. Then my son came along and he can - oh well. But now my son-in-law???? And I am not a bad shot! They have run off all of my friends, because the boys are all anal about reloading techniques. When they learn about bullet prep I don't know what they will do. And I can tell you for sure that not one of them is willing to take even a single shortcut - period.

Well, please hurry with the next installment because having consistant groups at 0.25 min means that there is more to find to improve consistancy. And if its too meticulous for some then they don't have to do it.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter Two: Bullet Prep By Tres MonCeret

unvisable, cure for predicament...don't tell them about bullet prep or third chapter. Only kidding.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:05 PM

Nice write up-you just caused me to add another gadget to the reloading table (a metplat trimmer), my wife thanks you, my credit card company thanks you, and my hunting buddy who borrows my reloading stuff thanks you. LOL.

So how important is it to buy several boxes of bullets that are the from the same lot? Do you see variances in different lots from respected companies like green, yellow, orange or red? I've been leaning towards the new orange guys HPBT's along with the red guys with their ballistic tips.

Doug
Old 07-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Silver Member

proven by many....
"Don`t shoot 168`s past 600 yds"
Old 07-25-2010, 08:35 AM

I am a newbie to this site, as well as precision shooting. This is great, thanks. (now if I can only find the first chapter : ) ).
Old 07-26-2010, 08:11 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soularcher View Post
...now if I can only find the first chapter : ) ).
Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter One: Brass Sort & Prep By Tres MonCeret

bye
Old 07-26-2010, 05:06 PM

Found it! Thanks!