Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter Two: Bullet Prep By Tres MonCeret

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter Two: Bullet Prep By Tres MonCeret

Quote:
So we got our cases prepped and primed in Chapter 1. Now let's look at our bullets.

In our chase for consistency obviously our bullets have to all be IDENTICAL if they are going to launch and fly the same, shot to shot. I have said and will continue to say this a lot: Weíre chasing consistency, in EVERYTHING.

Before I get going...let me say this: If you ever, might, possibly, once-in-a-life- time shoot past 600 yards and you shoot .308" diameter bullets, do not waste your time, money and barrel life on working up loads with 168 grain bullets! Instead, start with 175's or heavier. If you like, experiment with 155ís, but SKIP 168ís. Thanks, now I feel better. The 168 grain bullet is to beginner .308 shooters what the 9x19mm Parabellum pistol round is to Hollywood. You'd think it would kill a polar bear instantly if he were to be shot in the paw with it. But it's a cliche; itís lore. It's not the best long range bullet. In fact, it may be the LOWEST on the list!
Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter Two: Bullet Prep, By Tres MonCeret. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

What's new at the...

Long Range Hunting Gear and Supplies
Old 05-24-2010, 09:03 PM

Re: Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter Two: Bullet Prep By Tres MonCeret

I'm just curious what "your" reason is for not liking 168gr bullets for long range. I have heard many theories but wanted your take.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter Two: Bullet Prep By Tres MonCeret

The problem with them is that they are often notorious for tumbling as their velocity nears or goes transonic & subsonic.

Secondly, there are bullets just a wee bit heavier than the old 168 that are much more aerodynamic, thus carrying velocity & energy and wind bucking ability better, and further down range. They shoot flatter. To me it's like hanging onto antique .22 rimfire "long" loads, when technology has given us the "Long Rifle" load which is better overall, at the same cost of the former.

Happy to help,
TM

Check my website for articles, training info, etc!

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes Available.

John 14:6 2TIMothy 3:16
Old 05-25-2010, 10:37 AM

Are you certain they are "tumbling" or just coming down at a steep angle due to the trajectory? Is there film footage of a bullet tumbling to substantiate this theory?
Just curious because I shoot 168's to 1k all the time on steel targets. I also shoot M118SB and M118LR at those same distances and other than adjusting elevation there is really no differences.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:49 PM
Bronze Member

No getting bullet profile shaped holes on paper pretty much screams tumbling.
Watch the trace through a good spotting scope with those different bullets you mentioned. One will create considerably more distortion..

But like I always say, If your happy I'm happy! Stay at it.
Tres

Check my website for articles, training info, etc!

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes Available.

John 14:6 2TIMothy 3:16
Old 06-21-2010, 07:12 PM

I am anxiously waiting for Chapter Three: Whereís My Riflings And Where Should I Put Them? Is it coming out anytime soon?

Thanks, great read!
Old 06-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Good read. Thanks for sharing.