Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter One: Brass Sort & Prep By Tres MonCeret

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 11:56 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter One: Brass Sort & Prep By Tres MonC

Hey thanks for the kind words!

Happy to help,
Tres

Check my website for articles, training info, etc!

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes Available.

John 14:6 2TIMothy 3:16
Old 04-27-2010, 12:01 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter One: Brass Sort & Prep By Tres MonC

Actually- with a factory chamber and most all chambers your brass will be worn out before it gets close to your chambers actual max length dimension. But I'd stay good .020" short...

Tres

Check my website for articles, training info, etc!

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes Available.

John 14:6 2TIMothy 3:16
Old 04-27-2010, 08:02 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for a well written article. I'm looking forward to reading the rest.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

I just sorted 102 pcs new Norma 300 wsm brass. 92 pieces were within 2 grains of eachother; I'd say that's pretty good QC! I'll use the extreme high and low brass as foulers, and then arranged the rest into two boxes by weight. Essentially, I've got 2 boxes of 45 within 1 grain + 5 foulers in each box. This is half the tolerance listed in the article.

Thanks for the advice on sorting the brass. Now, on to sorting bullets by bearing surface length. I've got 1000 scenars to sort through, this should be interesting...
Old 04-28-2010, 12:02 AM
Platinum Member

Loaders_loft, scenars-what are you using them for and what grain are they?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

I've got two different projects going on, one is a 7wsm that I'm planning to fireform 300 wsm brass for, and the other is a 260 rem heavy match rifle, that will shoot the 139 scenars, only for tactical match shooting. I'm waiting on my 2nd comparator set from Midway, then I'll start doing the length sorting.

I also intend to sort my supply of 168 berger VLD's. This may explain the erratic fliers and inconsistent groups I was getting last year, which led me to dropping this bullet and staying with the 150 ballistic tip for my 2009 antelope hunt. I'm just concerned about chasing these loose ends too far with my 7wsm, and burning up the barrel in the process. Anyway, I can probably sort them and find out what I need to know, whether or not I shoot them is a different story. What I do know is the forster die set I'm using gives fantastic repeatability on seating depth.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Silver Member

hello Loaders-----,
We all experience flyers inspite of our best efforts at weighing bullets, exact measuring of powder etc. Perhaps we could get Tres to discuss the neck tension relationship to flyers situation. Perhaps even using powdered mica could create a more consistent neck to bullet tension.

Frequent flyers are no fun unless you get a free ride.
ODAVID