Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter One: Brass Sort & Prep By Tres MonCeret

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter One: Brass Sort & Prep By Tres MonCeret

Quote:
I have written an instructional article on some of the more advanced techniques of precision hand loading after teaching and answering questions on this subject time and time again. Many of these techniques are basic procedures in competitive bench rest shooting. We field shooters can squeeze all the more accuracy out of our equipment by incorporating many of these procedures even though we are not using zero tolerance rifles. However not ALL bench rest loading techniques nor ways of thinking are desirable for our purposes here as we are not on tidy cement benches, with “glued in” rifles having a specified neck dimensioned chambers and minimal tolerances throughout the weapon. Nor are our rifles or ammo protected entirely from dust, grit, rain as well as beats & bangs if not worse! In the following pages I explain the techniques I adapted from bench best competitive procedure that I feel are worthwhile and beneficial to the typical high-end field rifle & shooter.
Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter One: Brass Sort & Prep, By Tres MonCeret. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:25 PM

Re: Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter One: Brass Sort & Prep By Tres MonC

I just started using a case annealing kit from Hornady it comes a bottle of Tempilaq paint with a melting temp of 475 F. Am I going to get the job done at this temp.?
Old 04-15-2010, 12:52 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter One: Brass Sort & Prep By Tres MonC

Tres Mon:
REALLY enjoyed this on the HIDE. If it's NOT a sticky it should be. Those of us here on LRH are in for a treat. Great info! I've cut & pasted all your articles so far and have the "booklet" on my reloading bench. I'm about 2/3 of the way thru sorting bullets. Still doing some brass sorting/prepping. Thanks for sharing! btw.......you've cost me a LOT of $$! LOL.......all worth it!

One question:
I got the 5 Hornay gauges from Midway:
(Hornady Cartridge Headspace Gage 5 Bushing Set - MidwayUSA)
to check headspace.
They seem to be in groups of standard calibers. What tool/gauge would you recommend I use to check the headspace on a 280AI chamber/cartridge? I'm not sure these 5 bushings/gauges fit the bill. I appreciate any info you can provide. Take care.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Bronze Member

Mat,

With the Hornady kit it is my understanding the aluminum case holder concentrates the heat more. Surely Hornady has the correct temp Tempilaq figured out for their system, but here's a sure fire way of finding out...

Place a case in the holder as per H's instructions. Light your torch and get it going, then turn out the lights. Now roll the mouth/neck of the case in the flame until you get the faintest detectable maroon color. Immediately remove the case from the heat and quench it. Turn the light on and see what your Tempilaq looks like.

A faint maroon color in an otherwise DARK room is THE correct temp. You can experiment from here to see if you have the correct Tempilaq.

WEASEL,
Thanks so much for your kind & gracious words.

Per your question I'd give Hornady a call and see what they say...
I have not seen the entrance of their gages. Are they just a plain hole or are they tapered like Sinclaires?

In the end the main thing is you measure the same way from the same place each time consistently. Find the one that is best fit and use it EACH time. But I'd still give H a call.

Lemme know if i can help,
Tres

Check my website for articles, training info, etc!

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes Available.

John 14:6 2TIMothy 3:16
Old 04-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

Good article, very informative. Easy to understand and nicely aided with pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member

Tres,

Can you provide the brand and model of an ultrasound cleaning unit that you've used and been reasonably satisfied with.

I was going to purchase one a couple years ago but gave up after shopping for a unit for some period of time. I'm ready to buy one but I'm not ready to research which one. Thanks for sharing your article with us.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:36 AM
Platinum Member

+1 w/phorwath, I'd like to know the name of one too. I did the same thing about 18 month ago...researched the web for one after reading an article on the 6mmbr site.