Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Physical Training For Mountain Hunts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Physical Training For Mountain Hunts

Quote:
I am just an ordinary guy trying to prepare for and to maximize enjoyment of the physical part of my western mountain hunts in altitudes up to 10,000 feet. Over the years that I have been hunting in the west, the degree of my physical conditioning preparedness has varied a lot.

This article is not intended to give you a sophisticated list of exercises to do. Rather it is to open up discussion of the different practical ways we all choose for ourselves. And it is written in order to make the point that it is more important to actually do some exercise than to debate which is the exact best way. Develop a plan that you like and that you can stick with...and then DO IT! Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Physical Training For Mountain Hunts, By Len Backus. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:57 PM
Gold Member

Re: Physical Training For Mountain Hunts

Hard to beat this. Carrying out your own uber heavy pack plus two tired kids packs is quite the workout! I like to do lots of full body Olympic style lifts. Deep squats to an overhead press and lots of reps. Other than that I try to walk at least 2 miles up and down the hill I live on and add a day pack with 40 lbs of sand. As the season gets close ill try to up that to 4 or 5 miles a day.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:36 PM
Bronze Member

Great Article Len. Thanks for sharing the information and congratulation on your Bear!
Old 07-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Bronze Member

I feel that Physical Training is greatly neglected in our hunting communities. We have come to rely on atvs and other technologies much of the time now. Training wise I feel that simply hiking with a ruck and a rifle should be sufficient enough. Starting with light weight, and short distances and work your way up from there.

If you want more then that I'd like to pitch my company a bit. I just started this company, ForceFitnessKits.com and it's an entire gym in a bag the size of a carry on. Not only does it cover the strength, cardio, endurance areas, but also covers injury prevention and healing with the products. Not to mention you can pack it away.

Either way I'm glad this article was posted up. I like to be prepared physically while hunting, not only to take care of myself, but others in case of an emergency.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:58 PM
PUBLISHER

Thanks, guys. Will I see you on my hill in the morning?

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 07-03-2014, 06:38 PM

I appreciated your comment about finding a workout regime that you can live with and stick to it. I don't think at takes all that much if you are consistent and stick to it. A couple of years ago I was fortunate enough to get to go on a guided Coues deer hunt in southern Arizona. The outfitter warned that we would need to walk a lot in rough country. I have fairly consistently walked in an open park area near my work that has a lot of elevation opportunity on my lunch hour. I worked up to carrying about a 30 pound pack on my 45 minute walks and it really paid off. After the second day of my hunt my guide asked my how old I was and when I answered 62, he told me I was in better shape than most of his 30 year old hunters. I was pretty encouraged by that. I do also have the added advantage that I live at about twice the elevation that I was hunting at but never the less, I think a reasonable amount of exercise all the time is better than trying a blitz effort at the last minute. Enjoyed your article. OB
Old 07-03-2014, 06:56 PM
PUBLISHER

I am 68.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors