Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Passing on the Heritage: Youth Shooting Camp Part 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Passing on the Heritage: Youth Shooting Camp Part 2

Quote:
I began by reflecting on last year, deciding what to keep and what to change. As I learned last year, kids, no matter what the subject, hate class time! So I streamlined the classroom portions as best I could, deferring to an all hands on approach as much as possible. We shot a lot of paper last year. I felt this wasted too much time chasing back and forth checking targets as well as provided less feedback shot to shot. So I rounded up a huge amount of steel targets. This was the biggest improvement I could have made! The range itself last year was just not quite as I had really wanted, but just as last year Oak Tree Lodge stepped up to the task and gave us the use of a half mile wide by two mile long patch of CRP to use! It was absolutely perfect. Lastly, I just wanted more gun time for the kids without adding additional costs. So I just added to the time and round count for 22 rim fires. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Passing on the Heritage: Youth Shooting Camp Part 2 , By Pete Weisbrod. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Passing on the Heritage: Youth Shooting Camp Part 2

That's just Awesome. I wish I could find some local coaching for my son in a couple years. I know he would benefit from it in many ways.
My hat is off to you for taking the time to put on an event like this for the kids. You know darn well that some of them just reached "elite status" from thier peers when school starts up again. Great coaching, & thank you for all the leg work you had to have put in on top of teaching/coaching.

As for my oldest boy, He just turnned 7, & he's an Avid shooter, & loves whackin Sage Rats with both his BB guns, Pellet gun, & three different 22's.
He also loves lining up empty shotgun hulls, & picking them off 1 by 1. One of his other favorites is shooting golf balls. He just keeps shooting it, launching it farther with every hit, untill its out of sight.

In a few years he'll be begging to shoot the bigger stuff. It's going to be so cool to shoot the big guns with him. I can't wait!!

I really hope your story, & what you've done with those youngsters, will inspire some other folks to pitch in, & help out any way they can. I know I will certainly be doing what I can when my son, & his buddies are a bit older.
Thanks again for what you did, & for an inspiring story, & great read. I really enjoyed your article.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"

Last edited by winmag; 07-23-2012 at 10:59 PM. Reason: i hate auto correct....
Old 07-24-2012, 03:28 AM
Platinum Member

I just went through Hunter Ed with a 10 y/o, and can't say enough about the good folks that put it on. For hands on I agree with keeping the targets interesting, and reactive. We're blessed with a good Junior rifle club here,
Old 07-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks WINMAG, I am glad you enjoyed the article. I had a great time doing it again this year.

I really like your golf ball idea!!! I will have to see if I can incorparate that next year. OOOHHHHH Yes there where several cases of the boys bragging. Especially to their dad's.

I also get blamed for the boys asking for new rifles, upgraded scopes, spotting scopes and laser range finders!!

Yes I am hoping that the story will at a minimum get a few dads out with thier sons. Or even better a guy or two run thier own course. I think both our children and our country need things like this.

Events like this or any youth organization is only as good as the time and efforts that the adult leaders put into it. Garbage in equals garbage out. As I have said before: I will share everything I have from classes and resources to any non-profit person/group who wants to give it a run. Heck I will even come out and help teach..... especially in Montana or Wyoming

Have fun with your boys WINMAG they grow up way too fast.

Pete
Psalms 55:22 "Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain thee. He shall never suffer the righteous to be moved."
Old 07-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the write up Pete. Activity's like this are good for the kids. One on one with dad is very important but when you put them around other kids they try a little harder, listen a little better. Whether it's their competitiveness or they just don't want to look bad in front of their peers, it works. Not to mention, they tend to have a lot of fun in a shared activity with those their own age.

Pete since your offering to come out and help teach, I'll take you up on that. I'm willing to do the work it takes to have a class here in Gillette, Wy next year. We would be lucky to have you out.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:04 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucknbach View Post

Pete since your offering to come out and help teach, I'll take you up on that. I'm willing to do the work it takes to have a class here in Gillette, Wy next year. We would be lucky to have you out.
COOL!! Sounds fun to me. So when are you thinking about doing it?
Psalms 55:22 "Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain thee. He shall never suffer the righteous to be moved."
Old 08-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Silver Member

I'll call you when I get a chance.