Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

The Over-Rated Crown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 12:40 AM

Re: The Over-Rated Crown

This being my first post, I'm somewhat unsure/shy of sharing. I live in a state that limits the areas we can hunt with a rifle in, so for convenience I have chosen to hunt with shotguns. I have purchased used guns that had dented and banged up barrels and muzzles, and have cut down many. Some to get rid of an imperfection, but most to bring them to a cylinder bore choke.

I've cut 'em off with a chop saw, a hack saw and a lathe. I've used a rat-tail file, a jewlery file, de-buring tool, and even a piece of Emory cloth to smooth the cut and try to true it up. But I've never had more'n an 8 inch spread at 50 yds!

Right now I'm working on some 36 ga or 410bore shotties. I hope to be able to take Whitetail at 150 yrds, but we'll see what kind of projectiles I can get/design to accomplish my goal. GREAT article! Thanks.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:29 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadman View Post
This being my first post, I'm somewhat unsure/shy of sharing. I live in a state that limits the areas we can hunt with a rifle in, so for convenience I have chosen to hunt with shotguns. I have purchased used guns that had dented and banged up barrels and muzzles, and have cut down many. Some to get rid of an imperfection, but most to bring them to a cylinder bore choke.

I've cut 'em off with a chop saw, a hack saw and a lathe. I've used a rat-tail file, a jewlery file, de-buring tool, and even a piece of Emory cloth to smooth the cut and try to true it up. But I've never had more'n an 8 inch spread at 50 yds!

Right now I'm working on some 36 ga or 410bore shotties. I hope to be able to take Whitetail at 150 yrds, but we'll see what kind of projectiles I can get/design to accomplish my goal. GREAT article! Thanks.
Any chance you work in the Remington Custom Shop?
Old 02-15-2013, 08:04 PM

That's a hoot, Mike 338! I don't even own a Rem, although, I wouldn't mind one of their shotties! I've got friends and relatives that swear by their 870's.

Gingerbreadman
Old 04-17-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMIN View Post
This is a thread for discussion of the article, The Over-Rated Crown, By Alan Marshall. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Hello;
Very interesting info.; however, it seems to amount to much to do about nothing. One of my comp. rifles (DPMS 24" SUPER bull barrel AR15) shot in the 5's when new out of the box 13 years ago. I have over 7000 rds. through it as of last weeks 100yd competition. I shot 20 rounds for a score of 194-6X and a extra group bull of .541. This comp. was bench shooting from a bulls bag only (no back bag) I have the oldest AR in this competition by far, and certainly many more rounds through it. Over the past 13 years I have shot it in at least 300 competitions, and have won either first or second place against all comers ( AR's ). This gun has been undefeated in the last 5 yrs. winning "shooter of the year" in both group and score. Air Capital gun club, Whitewater Kansas, 20 mins. out of Wichita.
I have done nothing to this rifle except clean it, (came with a JP trigger) I have went through three 308 Hunter class rifles and 3 Varmint class 223 bolt guns in that time because they had loss there winning accuracy. Go figure. Art Cheney
Old 04-17-2013, 09:12 AM

Sorry; ran out of room.
That said; my crown is crap. However; I believe in a good crown being better than not! I have seen pics of open class gun crowns via a electron mic 400-500 and 600 power. They look like a old gravel road under construction at this power. But, still shoot great. In regard to the article; it is my contention, that if you were to put a tiny burr of metal in front of the bore where the meplat or front bearing surface of the bullet would strike it during flight, this pill would hit anything but the 10 ring.
If you take a top and spin it on the floor it will bump into all kinds of things and keep on spinning. But if the tip of the top hits something on the floor, the yaw created will send that top crashing into everything in the room. I do know if you take a open class barrel that shoots in the 1's and after many rounds, now shoots in the 3's. A good crown job will bring it back into the 1's (all other things being equal) again, go figure. Art Cheney
Old 04-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Silver Member

Great tests in this article! I myself couldn't believe what I was reading, I then showed it to my father who does custom rifle work/builds and he was astounded as well.

I will say, as has been said already, just for peace-of-mind I'll still be careful with my crowns...

Thanks for the article!

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-
Old 04-28-2013, 12:19 PM
Bronze Member

Very interesting. Now if just knew what type of crown to not worry about so much...