Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Nightforce Ballistic Targeting Software By Ward W. Brien

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2008, 07:57 PM
PUBLISHER

Nightforce Ballistic Targeting Software By Ward W. Brien

This is the thread for discussion of the article: Nightforce Ballistic Targeting Software
By Ward W. Brien

Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article. The author will have this thread automatically notify him of posts so he can join the discussion.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors

Last edited by Len Backus; 08-23-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

First, fantastic tool / product.
Next, what's write in the rain paper? Where do I get it?
Last, wish I didn't have to buy two versions of the software to have it on the pc (to print) and the pocket pc. I'm not a computer guy, so I don't know why this is so. Seems unnecessary.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:02 AM
SPONSOR

Write In The Rain Products

Here is a link to US Tactical Supply, they sell many write in the rain products.

Tactical Shirt Pocket Notebook - R 935

Tactical All-Weather Bullet Pen - R AWP 96

Sniper Data Books & Gear - Rite in the Rain Products

The two versions of the software is warranted as it is written, (ported) to run on either a "Windows Mobile" Operating system, (Pocket PC),
or the "Windows" desktop operating system. They are two different operating systems.

Last edited by WWB; 07-03-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the link and the explanation. Do I need the pen, or will any pen do?

Last edited by grit; 07-03-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Bronze Member

Exbal (nughtforce software)

Not only can you get it for windows or windoes CE sources, it will also run on a palm pilot. Best site I have found for these is Insightguns.com. Without a doubt it is one of the premier software ballistic packages and I have looked at and used quite a few of them. The ease and thoroughness of use is amazing but to see the total aplication you need the PC based product IMO. As am older computer user and writer, I can attest to the thoroughness, ease and usefullness of the software. It beats any other that I have used and can be set to 2000 yards which is about as thorough as you can get.

bob chronister

Last edited by drbobc; 07-06-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

OK, I got the pc and pocket pc version. I have loaded and saved profiles for a few cartridges in excel. How do I get the profile back into exbal to modify it for the current shot?
Old 07-15-2008, 05:47 PM
SPONSOR

How to open your previously saved file...

After inputting the pertinent data into your Night Force Ballistic Targeting Software, you must save the file so that you can utilize it on your next shooting session.

To Save your file, go to the bottom left hand corner of the pocket pc screen and choose "File." A small pop-up window will appear. Next, pick "Save As..." and a large window will present itself.

Within this window, you will see the following:

Name: ________________

Folder: ________________

Type: ________________

SAVE CANCEL
__________________________________________________ _____________________

Here is an example of what should be inputted:

Name: .308 175 grn Federal Match

Folder: NIGHT FORCE

Type: Bullet Data (*.Bul)

Location: Main Memory or Storage Card; I save my files to my storage card which frees up the main unit's memory.

SAVE CANCEL

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Once this information is inputted, click on "SAVE."

Now the next time that you turn on your pocket pc, go to the bottom left hand corner of the screen and click on "File,"
--> then "Open,"
-->then click on the name of the file that you have saved.

However, you may encounter a problem depending on which Pocket PC you are using and if your batteries have died.

IF you are using a business type of Pocket PC such as a Dell Axim 30 or similar, and its batteries have died on you; the software will automatically be deleted and you will not be able to find it.

To prevent this from happening, you will need to either load the software directly onto your storage card, or back up the software onto your storage card so that you can restore it once the batteries have been recharged.

This problem will not occur with a TDS Recon or Nomad Pocket PC as the software is safely stored in the units main memory, not in flash memory.