Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Marlin XL7 Review By Jon R. Sundra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Marlin XL7 Review By Jon R. Sundra

This is a thread for discussion of the article, Marlin XL7 Review By Jon R. Sundra. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

The author will have this thread automatically notify him of posts so that he can join the discussion. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:24 PM

Re: Marlin XL7 Review By Jon R. Sundra

Good article. I too have tested the rifle out only in .270 and it performed well. The only problem that I had with the rifle was the trigger guard. I separated the weapon from the stock to inspect the craftsmanship of the entire weapons system. When I was putting the rifle back together I was driving the rear screw into the trigger guard at 65 inch pounds and noticed that the screw bored through the trigger guard. The trigger guard as I found out was made of soft composite materials. Plastic!

I called Marlin and they sent another trigger guard no questions asked. The only problem was it as another plastic one. I had a millwright I know make one made out of mettle and then torque it down to the rifle at 65 inch pounds. This gave the weapon the capability to hold a 5 round shot group at sub MOA out to 660 yards. Being that rifle has a light barrel I didn't try any more than 5 shots at a time to check sustained accuracy.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:56 PM
Silver Member

good reading Ive been watching the xl7 since last year wating to hear what every one has to say it does sound like a dam good rifle but I realy like wood stocks it got all the right parts feels good in the hands but havent shoot one yet going to some day I hope
Old 07-09-2009, 04:45 PM

I bought one with a walnut stock in .30-06 this April and I was very impressed. Due to the low price I originally bought it as a lower cost rifle to bring in the woods in bad weather and save my heirloom for good weather, but it looks, handles and shoots WAY better than the price tag would have you believe. The walnut is high quality and well finished, with a factory mounted Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad, and the trigger is one of the best "out of the box" triggers I have felt- no adjustment was even desired. I shoot 180gn Federal loads, their Power Shock SP and Fusion PSP, and both loads consistently group to 1.5" or better with no malfunctions of any kind to date. After even twenty rounds my shoulder is not close to being sore, coupled with the great trigger, makes this rifle enjoyable to bring to the range, not a chore. I also like the Remington style safety and Winchester style bolt release. As a personal preference I used Leupold two piece dovetail mounts and rings to mount my scope. All in all it is a very well made, light, accurate rifle and far better than the price you pay for it. My walnut stocked one ran $440 before tax. I am not employed by Marlin or as a writer for any magazine, I just really like this rifle and I believe Marlin should get as many good reviews by those who own them as possible. They should keep producing them the way they have, hands down. Thanks for my time in the "soap box," Dave
Old 03-05-2010, 03:46 PM

Rookie needing advice!
OK guys. I have been hunting 6 times, bagged 2 deer, and this past year, started plinking, at longer and longer distances, just for fun. I am hooked, and on a budget.

I have always borrowed a gun to hunt with (i know, you can't take an ethical shot with a gun you don't "know" but hey, I'm a rookie).

I started saving for a gun (4 kids under 7 restricts your budget). Before I could buy, I won a Marlin XL-7 scoped combo in .243 at a church raffle for $10. Better than a sharp stick in the eye!

Anyway, I haven't even shot it. I have been reading for the past month about sighting, shooting, cleaning and care.

Here is what I have : .243 Marlin XL-7 with Nikon Buckmasters 4-12X50 *Never Been Shot*

I have my CHL, carry daily, and am very comfortable and familiar with SA handguns, but other than plinking with an old .22 Marlin 60, I have only fired about 10 rounds out of a rifle. Hopefuly I am stepping into this a bit ahead of the average rookie.

Here are my questions:

1. I read an article about cleaning the bore after each of my first 5-10 shots. Do I need to do this, or is this just for high-dollar super-accurate rigs?

2. I was going to sight in and set my zero at 200 yards using 2 boxes of Federal 115g rounds that I won with the gun. Is this a reasonable range for that scope, gun, round (and rookie)? My brother-in-law will be reloading my brass with 80g hunting rounds. Will I need to re-sight with those?

3. The synthetic stock has 2 raised "points" that apply pressure to the barrel at the forward end of the stock. I have been advised to sand these off to fully "free-float" the barrell. Should I do this?

4. I was told that I should fire 3 shots, adjust my sights, then fire another 3 at a fresh target. Is this enough to show where my groups are off?

5. I have also been told to fire around 15 shots, then let the barrell cool before shooting any more. Is this correct? If so, how long should I let it cool.

6. After many-many rounds of practice, What will the efective range of this gun be (when I am no longer a rookie)?

7. If taken well care of, how long will this gun last? How many rounds should the barrel last?

8. Knowing that the XL-7 is of nominal value, Is this going to be something that I can pass on to one of my boys as a "heritage gun" or will it be a worn out piece in a few years?

I have 100 more questions, and am doing this on my own due to budget constraints, so any advice and response is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Bronze Member

The Marlin XL-7 is a nice rifle for the money.

1) Yes
2) Yes Yes
3) Yes
4) Yes
5) No. Shoot 3 Rounds then let it cool.
6) Max range is determined by the shooter's skill level. 243 is effective well past 1000 yards.
7) 2500 rounds for hunting accuracy.
8) It is a well made rifle and will last as long as any other.

You can pass it down but it is not really a "heritage" rifle like a pre 64 M70 or a custom. It is more a useful tool than a collector's piece.

TC
Old 03-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocoa88 View Post
When I was putting the rifle back together I was driving the rear screw into the trigger guard at 65 inch pounds and noticed that the screw bored through the trigger guard.
That is obviously too much torque for that rifle in stock configuration. Where did you get that number from? I doubt that Marlin specifies the torque that high, there is no way plastic will take that but the screws don't really need to be that tight. I would think 45 inch pounds max would be more reasonable.

It is more important that the action be seated in the stock correctly and the screws torqued up to final weight gradually and evenly. If that torque doesn't hold the action in then it should be glass bedded. I would still be surprised if the plastic guard held the torque without occasional retightening, but the rear screw is less important than the front and does not need to be as tight.

The metal TG is a nice upgrade.

TC