Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Long Range Prairie Dog Hunt In South Dakota By Jesse Grove

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Long Range Prairie Dog Hunt In South Dakota By Jesse Grove

This is a thread for discussion of the article, Long Range Prairie Dog Hunt in South Dakota, By Jesse Grove. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:00 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Long Range Prairie Dog Hunt In South Dakota By Jesse Grove

thats some amazing shooting therethanks for the fine read
Old 03-12-2009, 06:41 AM
Platinum Member

Great story Jesse. We'll have to meet up at Ted's again and discuss this hunt some more. I am really interested in booking a trip out to this outfitter you are using. Sounds like a very economical trip and a fun one to boot. Thanks again for the article.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Kiwi Al.

The price of the trip went up this year as has everything elese but its still doable for under $1000. I really feel like we will be able to reach our goals. I went ringneck hunting in Nov. with Kerry our guide and hes really onboard with trying to make our long shots.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

Great article,and some amazing shooting!I thought shooting anything from a mile is incredible,but you guy's are really pushing the envelope!Exactly how do you use a GPS as a rangefinder?Do you actually go to the target and mark it as a waypoint,then once you get to the bench have it naviagate there in a straight line?I have a Garmin 76csx,would that work for that application?
Old 03-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Silver Member

We try to judge how far it is and then do some shooting. With the charts that we use we then know roughly how far it is and if we want to shoot there or not. Plus our guide last year said he figured it to be 3k, when we marked our shooting bench and drove and walked to the mound being guided by Will back at the bench I marked that pt. and the garmin told us that it was 2992 yds. After that I would pretty much believe him if he told me the moon was square. It is very hard to judge distance out there I just don't get enough practice out west to be good at it.

As for your garmin I don't know why it would not work. Mine is a etrex model from the late 90's that I got from a fellow here on this site for free. I thank him once again for his generosity.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Silver Member

I'll have to take my Garmin out and play around with it,thanks for the help.