Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2014, 10:19 PM

Re: Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget

Thanks for the input. I would say I am definitely headed in the right direction.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:45 AM

With the Vortex Viper HSLR w/ FFP Scope and Kenton turrets on this 300 Win Mag, I wonder what the maximum range will be that I can dial in? 1000 yard shots at elk and orxy are not un heard of here in New Mexico. Also what would be the best bullet? A lot of the long range videos I has seen are shooting 208 Amax to over 1000. I was looking on the Kenton site, and as I recall, they do not offer anything for over 180gr. Between deer and elk, I plan to stay between 165 and 208, depending on range and conditions. Doing my own loading, it is not hard to carry a variety.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Gold Member

The higher BC bullets will make a big difference. It really depends on what your rifle shoots best and what u can get.

The tracking email says my Boyd's Tacticool stock is in at the p.o. so I'm on my way there. It will go on my 6.5Cm stainless Ruger M77 mk2. Hopefully my package from SWFA gets in soon. I'm going with the Rifle Basics trigger. I may eventually go to an aftermarket barrel but for now I'll give the factory barrel a good work out.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:47 PM
Gold Member

So my scope and the Boyd's stock were both it when I went to the mailbox.
The scope was a suprise as I said 6×42 but it was a 10×42 in the mail. And on the invoice, So, I think I need to work.on my speaking Texan.
Its all good. I will order more scopes but was playing around with.it and at 9 paces or so I can see most of the width of a 55 gal oil barrel. And the clarity ect at distances is awesome.
The Boyd's stock was truely drop right in but I have to open the barrel channel a little for free floating.

I decided to give the factory LC6 trigger a little attention. . Snipped off about 1.3 wraps of the spring. All the sudden its about 2-3 lbs and really very good. So I'll hold off on the trigger order.
So, a little bedding work, a tripod and some more load development and I may well have my budget long range rifle
Old 05-12-2014, 05:54 PM
Gold Member

So, starting from a factory rifle, adding a SWFA SS scope. Boyd's Tacticool stock, a MILDOT MASTER and a set of Leupold rings and a bipod can get a very useful lr rifle for less than 1300 $ . That would include a set of dies and probably some components.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:29 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magcreedmoor View Post
Here we go again: I have started collecting parts/ordering parts for the next Teo concept savage. Another 111, Boyds Tacticool stock, PacNor barrel in 280AI, RifleBasix SAV2 trigger JP brake, various tools from midwayusa, Vortex HSLR FFP scope. Biggest challenge now is waiting patiently for all the components to arrive...
Just a followup- I have everything now except for the new barrel. This is starting to resemble an actual rifle...
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget-diy-savage-paint-assembly-7.19.14-014.jpg   Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget-diy-savage-paint-assembly-7.19.14-006.jpg  

Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget-diy-savage-paint-assembly-7.19.14-009.jpg  
Old 07-20-2014, 09:51 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dufus Dipwater View Post
I was looking on the Kenton site, and as I recall, they do not offer anything for over 180gr. Between deer and elk, I plan to stay between 165 and 208, depending on range and conditions. Doing my own loading, it is not hard to carry a variety.
I cacn;t imagine why Kenton would stop at 180's? They are just basically printing a label on a metal turret with a laser. Call them and give them your drop data and they should be able to burn any info you want on to the turret. You could name your gun the S.S. Tweedy Bird and I'm sure they could engrave that on there...