Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 06:05 PM

Re: Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMIN View Post
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget, By Jerry Teo. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
great info thanks for your honesty. joe cousins.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

I'm really cheap......Mosin Negant. It works really well though.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:04 AM

First, thank you for the info on building a long range hunter. Compared it to all I have gathered and found it to be helpful and pleased to fining I had purchased the right rifle as a base. Being 70 years young and having been trained by the USMC I naturally love shooting. Long range to me is beyond 600 yards out to 1000. I always have enjoyed your articles and decided to build the rifle I truly wanted. Building is half the fund. I have to agree with you on the one most important thing you have brought up; If you can't continuously shoot a sub MOA at 100 you don't need to go long range on anything other than paper. Having served in the 60ts I hate to see anything suffer because of stupidity and shooting anything with not having a clean kill shot is just that, STUPID! Thank you for all your inspiration and advice it is well appreciated.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:49 PM

Lots of good info in the article and this thread. Looking at building one myself now. Was going to just try to buy a gun and use it, but really considering this route now. On to more reading now.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:10 PM
Silver Member

Here we go again: I have started collecting parts/ordering parts for the next Teo concept savage. Another 111, Boyds Tacticool stock, PacNor barrel in 280AI, RifleBasix SAV2 trigger JP brake, various tools from midwayusa, Vortex HSLR FFP scope. Biggest challenge now is waiting patiently for all the components to arrive...
Old 05-11-2014, 07:02 PM

This is a very interesting article and right down my alley. I currently own a FN Hershel Special Police Rifle in .308 with a Shepherd V2 scope. It has been fun at 780 yards so far.

I am hoping to convert a Ruger M77 MKII in .300 Win Mag to a long range shooter. I got it cheap enough so I have room to move around. Granted it is not a Savage action, but it is a start. It is a 100% virgin rifle, meaning it is factory bone stock.

My thoughts are:
1. Muzzle brake. It goes in as soon as I recover enough from knee replacement to take it there.
2. Optics; It currently wears a Swift 3.5-10x44 with duplex reticle that it came with. I am happy with Nikon BDC's as I have two of them now. I am considering a Vortex Viper 6.5-24x50 HSLR or equivalent.
3. Stock; I am debating different stocks such as Boyd and Hogue.

Am I headed in the right direction with this Ruger, or is there a better action to work with. The "on a budget" part caught my eye, and this is where I am at.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:06 PM
Silver Member

Mr. Dipwater: I have two ruger m77s in Boyd's stocks- excellent choice. May I also recommend timney's replacement triggers, mine are set at just under 2 pounds. Vortex scopes also ride in my rings, and are very satisfactory with Kenton custom turrets calibrated for my load specs. I had my stocks pillar bedded, and the barrels (one from PacNor, one from ER Shaw) free-floated starting at the taper.