Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget

Yeah, it's a monster case. Don't have a magazine, tho, just have to feed it slowly. The 110 mag is not quite long enough, and I didn't want to pay extra to enlarge it. Still, for my purposes, it's fine as a single shot. I'll post here as soon as I make it go BOOM !!
Old 12-22-2013, 04:15 PM
Silver Member

I read this article many times, and finally was compelled to undertake the project. A Savage 111 provided the starting place, and EABCO the varmint barrel in 6.5/284, JP Industries brake and Rifle Basix SAV-2 trigger. Boyds JRS Classic laminate in forest camo with pillars and a Limbsaver pad for furniture. Optics from Vortex in Burris rings on a rail. I paid a pro to do the assembly as my woodworking skills are survival basic only and I wanted the rifle to look presentable when finished. The rifle groups well, and put 3 Berger VLD 140s into less than an inch at 500 yards after break in. Velocity is 2870 at best accuracy, although I did see 3044 during load workup, but faster was also bigger groups. The only thing I would do differently next time is flute the barrel- she tips the scales at 13 pounds with sling, bipod and 4 rounds, and is just a bit heavy toward the muzzle. I think fluting might move the cg to right at the bolt face, which makes a rifle feel more alive when stalking.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Silver Member

Here is my project inspired by Jerry's article. Had some trouble attaching pictures.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget-first-shots-savage-025.jpg   Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget-first-shots-savage-019.jpg  

Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget-first-shots-savage-028.jpg   Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget-500-yd-savage-6.5-284-9.2.13-004.jpg  

Old 12-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magcreedmoor View Post
Here is my project inspired by Jerry's article. Had some trouble attaching pictures.
Man, thats a nice looking rig. And it shoots good, too! I really like that Boyds stock. I put my Savage 110 on a Boyds Varmint Thumbhole. Try to post pics.
I'm working on load development, and had a few issues. For starters, and quite a few fellas on this site helped me get on track, I was underpressured for that 338378 case. I loaded H1000, at a middle of the road listing from Hornady 8th edition, and was denting cases. Then, and just posted under reloading techniques, the belt was a tight fit, to the point that 1/2 of my brass was very hard to close the bolt on. I think I got it now, and we'll see. Another "Jerry inspired" build!Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget-20131205_165236.jpg

Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget-20131205_165118.jpg
Old 12-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Silver Member

That is a good looking rig, I like the blue color. I have several Boyds stocks and find they are a good compromise between cost and solid base for the gun. I can't do a thumbhole stock though, I have trouble running the bolt fast and still get my hand back in position. I do wish my grip was a bit more vertical, and I see Boyds is now offering a laminate they call "tactical" which has a more vertically oriented grip, without a thumbhole. Maybe for my next build...
Old 12-22-2013, 10:14 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magcreedmoor View Post
That is a good looking rig, I like the blue color. I have several Boyds stocks and find they are a good compromise between cost and solid base for the gun. I can't do a thumbhole stock though, I have trouble running the bolt fast and still get my hand back in position. I do wish my grip was a bit more vertical, and I see Boyds is now offering a laminate they call "tactical" which has a more vertically oriented grip, without a thumbhole. Maybe for my next build...
On the same page there. Even thought about getting a piece from them and build it in the grip. Ahh well, cant have everything, I guess. I also have a "Classic", I think its called, no thumbhole, from them on a Ruger M77 Tang. Pepper color. Positively gorgeous wood. Good shootin.
Gregg
Old 12-28-2013, 09:57 PM
Bronze Member

Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget-20131228_142006.jpgGot out to a real range today, with my "Jerry Inspired" 338-378. After all the headaches I've had with this thing, today was payday! Got her shootin about 3/4 in at a hundred, then spent the afternoon and all the ammo I had ringing gongs! Farthest gong hit was 500 yds, but I hit the one 12x12 at 400 about ten times! What an addicting sport! And, I need to say, what a great web site this is. I have not only been inspired here, but also, helped.
I'm not sure I could have done it on my own.
Next, I'd like to get it shooting a touch tighter. Good shooting.
Gregg