Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Long Range Hunting Ambush By Shawn Carlock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2008, 04:23 PM
PUBLISHER

Long Range Hunting Ambush By Shawn Carlock

This is a thread for discussion of the article, Long Range Hunting Ambush
By Shawn Carlock
. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

The author will have this thread automatically notify him of posts so that he can join the discussion.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 03-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Shawn:

As usual another great write up and really enjoyed the read.

Sure sounded like some familiar stuff in there. It should help a lot of new long range people out as it's very informative and easy to put in the ol memory bank for future use.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:24 AM
Sponsor

Dick,

Thanks. I wish I'd have had a place to go like this site 20 years ago when I started hunting long range.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 03-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Gold Member

Great article Shawn.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member

A very good read with much information.

What Shawn calls LRH Ambush I call Hide hunting. The generally accepted acronym will now be LRHA in honor of Shawn.

During the read I reflected on my personal growth. Thanks to this forum I started out several years ahead of Shawn. As usual its the pioneers that pay the big price.

The point well made was the tendency to lean towards more open areas where there are fewer targets. I think that that is because of the nature of a hunter. I know I always envision to the extent that I can see in the picture in my head, the direction the animal is facing and the size of the rack. That is flat wrong. Plus, it never happens that way. And I mean NEVER! This is my biggest challenge when at the ambush spot.

Thanks again Len and Shawn
Old 12-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Silver Member

Re: Long Range Hunting Ambush By Shawn Carlock

Great article and outstanding reference. I honestly feel any long range shooter can apply this basic methods for all types of hunting whether they be Zebra or coyotes.

I especially liked the .4 second travel tip.

If you could just show me where to set up that would be outstanding. We don't live to far apart.

I just need to review the aerial photos and then hike more this summer.

Thanks again for the great article
ODAVID
Old 12-21-2008, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

Re: Long Range Hunting Ambush By Shawn Carlock

Nice article shawn. I like the idea of shooting up or down instead of across. In the high country cross canyon thermals can really screw with your POI. If its an afternoon hunt i like to be at the ridge shooting down because by that time the wind is in your face, and in the morning i like to drop into the timberline and hunt the meadows above for the same reason, the wind is in your favor and its more predictable. Again great article!