Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Long Range Bowhunting By Lorenzo Young

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: Long Range Bowhunting By Lorenzo Young

Congratulation!

A 90 yard shot with a bow is like a 900 yard shot with a gun. The drop in inches are actually very close.

But I really disagree with using light arrows for long range (past 50yd), it just doesn't have the penetration like the heavier arrows do.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Bronze Member

I agree with heavier arrows. It makes a world of difference. I shoot around a 480 gr arrow. I've taken some long range shots on animals and I really believe that a heavy arrow made the difference. Another critical aspect is the sight. I personally like the Sure Loc lethal weapon max on the Spot Hogg Boss Hogg. This allows multiple pins on the closer ranges and be able to pick the yard according to your rangefinder. So if the rangefinder says 97 yds, you set it to 97 yds. I also got used to using an anchor point that is lower on my face than most allowing me to have the peep sight higher on the string therefore get more range. I also like bows with at least a 7 in brace height. I know a few guys with the X force. They seemed to have accuracy issues. I'm not saying they're bad bows but that bow is definitely not for beginners... well I guess neither is the long range shooting of archery tackle. I will say I do know some guys that shoot the heck out of the X forces too.

Another aspect I find critical is using a rangefinder with angle compensation. I personally use the OptiLogic rangefinder. They haven't let me down yet. I don't get to hung up on speed. I'll take forgiving over speed any day. Just my .02!
Old 11-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
also like bows with at least a 7 in brace height. I know a few guys with the X force. They seemed to have accuracy issues. I'm not saying they're bad bows but that bow is definitely not for beginners... well I guess neither is the long range shooting of archery tackle. I will say I do know some guys that shoot the heck out of the X forces too.
The PSE X-Force LD has a brace height of 8.5 inches but was only made for one year being as the only people who actually buy high brace height bows is you and me.

I also like the Spot Hogg sights.

Arrows are stiff spined ACC 3-71s and 125 gr fixed broadheads
Old 11-15-2010, 08:23 AM
Bronze Member

I had a question... do you have any problems with the ACC not being straight after a while? I was shooting the A/C Super Slims and I was running into that problem. I was shooting the 300's with a 125 gr. I talked to Easton and asked them about their Pro Hunters. They told me if I wanted durability to go with the Epics (because I like the insert). So I ended up with the Epics and really like them. I gave up a little weight but still have 480 gr. I figure thats plenty for anything.

I noticed that a lot of companies are going to the short brace height bows and short axle to axle bows. I guess that's the fad right now.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Lorenzo, excellent article, it has helped me a lot!!!
I have read it several times, and I keep on learning from it.
I find it amazing the distances you guys shoot at.
I am trying though!!! Will keep you updated.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Gold Member

Bs galore!!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulhern View Post
Bs galore!!
I was wondering when someone finally expresses resentful emotion that occurs when a person lacks another's (perceived) superior quality, achievement or possession and wishes that the other lacked it.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.