Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Load Tuning By Jerry Teo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Load Tuning By Jerry Teo

I am glad to see this thread is still going. Hard to believe it has been almost a year since I posted. Since then I have given up on the Bergers and gone back to the SGK. They are much less expensive and much more consistent in length to ogive and weight. I have a load for my T/C PH in .280 REM with 160 SGK's that is a solid 1 MOA load for me off my sand bag rests. This is fine for me since I am a hunter first and a target shooter second (I don't carry the rests in the field).

As for which method is best, I have settled on the length first then powder weight second method and have found in some rifles that COL makes a much bigger difference in accuracy than powder weight. I have a .308 FNAR that is picky about length (likes 'em short like me), but really couldn't care about powder weight. Sure the POI moves, but the groups stay the same. This is for 0.5 gr increments over about a total of 2grs FWIW.

I still think small caliber rifle accuracy is a very complex system with multiple accuracy minimums. The trick is to find one that works for what you want it to do. Once I hit 1 MOA consistently, I am done and now practicing with that round. Could there be better ones a 0.005" COL or a 0.1 gr away? Maybe when I have more range time I will find them, but for now 1 MOA is good enough for me.

See ya in the forest, or maybe the desert depending on the time of year.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

[QUOTE=Whitesheep;748173]As for which method is best, I have settled on the length first then powder weight second method and have found in some rifles that COL makes a much bigger difference in accuracy than powder weight. I have a .308 FNAR that is picky about length (likes 'em short like me), but really couldn't care about powder weight. Sure the POI moves, but the groups stay the same. This is for 0.5 gr increments over about a total of 2grs FWIW.

I still think small caliber rifle accuracy is a very complex system with multiple accuracy minimums. The trick is to find one that works for what you want it to do. Once I hit 1 MOA consistently, I am done and now practicing with that round. Could there be better ones a 0.005" COL or a 0.1 gr away? Maybe when I have more range time I will find them, but for now 1 MOA is good enough for me.

QUOTE]

Interesting...you settled on length first, then charge level. Dan Newbury's OCW method talks about all this, and then he varies the length as the final touch. For review: (or just google optimum charge weight)
clik.to

I like the theory behind the OCW method because it basically determines the load that is most component-variance independent. But I have not tried it, so don't know if the fine tuning by length adjustment at the end of the process will result in the (practically speaking) tightest groups possible for that gun.

It sounds like we are all over the map in our techniques, falling into 2 or 3 obvious "camps". There are good arguments for each, and it doesn't seem like there is 1 best way to do it.

I will say that I tend to nitpick my loads ad infinitum and I often wonder if its me or the load that causes groups to open up to 1 MOA.

1 MOA accuracy is good enough to practice shooting skills at 100 - 200 yards, but not when the targets are out at 400+ yards. I have a semi auto that routinely returns 3 of 4 rounds in under .5" @100 but the flier is always about 1" - 1.5" away. This makes me think it is unsuitable for hunting shots past 300 yards. So now I have to buy a bolt action in that caliber (270) to experiement more!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Bronze Member

Bummer about having to buy a new gun Shootin4Fun. Enjoy.

As for the fliers. With my setup I can blame an imperfect rest. As long as I call them, it's alright. As for shooting 400+ yards, I need a really stable rest at that range. I am not sure the proverbial backpack is the answer here. Pods or sticks are a better idea, but keeping 1 MOA even then would be hard for me.

When preparing for an AK hunt several years ago, I practiced frequently out to 500 yards off of sticks sitting. I am confident I could have hit a sheep at 500 with that setup, but it would not have been in the heart as I would be aiming at center of mass at that range. As it was I took a Dall at 320 yards in the heart off those same sticks no problem. Regrettably, I don't have the time, will or $ to practice like I did for that hunt, so I keep it to 300 yards now. I did hit an Elk running at 250 yards a couple of seasons ago, but a Bull Elk is a big target. No, I didn't hit it in the heart, but it did go down and find its way to my freezer. Since that is my goal, 1 MOA was good enough.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:51 PM
Silver Member

I forgot, I promised someone that instead of buying a new 270, I will spend some time to develop a good load for a new 7mm RM Savage I recently bought. I've broken in the barrel with 40 or 50 factory rounds and have loaded a box of ascending charges. Seating was arbitrary- at the cannelure it turns out the same OAL as a factory Federal 150gr.

I'm starting with IMR4831 and Hdy 139gr BTSP Interlock. 201M. I may shoot the ascending charges round robin like in the OCW method suggests. In any event, I'll look for relative POI with each charge and go from there.

Any suggestions for the 139gr Hdy?
Old 01-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Silver Member

Great time for this older thread to bubble to the surface. Perfect timing as I am starting load development next week on some 185 VLDs in a 300 WSM. Going to try some of the methods here and see if I get better results than my old ways.

Thanks, All.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:13 AM
Bronze Member

great read....