Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Load Tuning By Jerry Teo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Load Tuning By Jerry Teo

I'm going to jump into this. This is what I do... right or wrong, I have played the different seating depth with multiple powders etc. I am starting all of my loads at a specified length. I pick a specific speed I would like to achieve or come close too. At that point I set to the book OAL. Doesn't matter what bullet or what powder. I may pick one powder, or two powders, but choose the ones that most assimilate the performance I want.

I do a ladder test with 3 shot groups moving up in .5grn increments to max or above, depending on what I am trying to achieve. I shoot the rounds and that gives me a determined measurement of accuracy for my rifle, with that bullet, and that powder. If you want to set to a specific length, then you need to set all the bullets to the exact same length with your different powder charges. If you want .002" from the lands, then you should set all the bullets to that COL.

After you find the most accurate load, then tuning starts to happen. You want to make sure that the velocity is close to or at your desired velocity. Then you can start playing with seating depth with that specific load that you chose as to being the most accurate. You might get lucky and not need any fine tuning, but that generally isn't the case. Hope this added some clarity. If not then I just made you more confused and for that I am sorry!

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-09-2010, 04:08 PM

For my load tuning I've started hand weighing each charge. This was tricky at first using a powder measurer and hand trickler. But recently I got an RCBS Chargemaster 1500. This thing is sweet. I took pics and posted a full review here.
Gun Voice | Weapons, Guns, Ammo, & Reloading
Old 12-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRangeAmmo View Post
For my load tuning I've started hand weighing each charge. This was tricky at first using a powder measurer and hand trickler. But recently I got an RCBS Chargemaster 1500. This thing is sweet. I took pics and posted a full review here.
Gun Voice | Weapons, Guns, Ammo, & Reloading

Nice report, thanks!

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Silver Member

the ladder test can be very helpful the one in the article has a little tighter guide lines than what I use and in the bigger magnums I usualy very the powder charges by .5 or by 1 in the big magnums.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Silver Member

THANKS every one and the article to learing a lot. What realy got me here is I got 2 rounds factor stuff knowing I was going to start reloading it shot realy great. So now I bought one of them rcbs precision mic's so I could fine out all the measurements. This is what I found out the factory stuff got a .105 jump. That just seams a lot ot me what do you all think?
Old 12-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Bronze Member

All factory rounds are short so that they will cycle through any magazine. Both my Rem 700's VSSF .308 & .223 shoot the best at 10 thousandths off the lands.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva54 View Post
THANKS every one and the article to learing a lot. What realy got me here is I got 2 rounds factor stuff knowing I was going to start reloading it shot realy great. So now I bought one of them rcbs precision mic's so I could fine out all the measurements. This is what I found out the factory stuff got a .105 jump. That just seams a lot ot me what do you all think?

Hey CVA54 -- Are you measuring off the ogive or the bullet tip? The ogive measurement is much better. I find about .002 variance in ogive to base length even in Bergers.

If this is off the ogive, it does seem to be a big jump, much bigger than the factory loads I have measured.