Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Load Tuning By Jerry Teo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 11:52 AM

Re: Load Tuning By Jerry Teo

MR:

Like your method of breaking in a barrel while testing for max loads based on pressure signs. I am going to try that on my .20 practical new barrel. My question is how many different powders/bullets will you use for testing after the break-in procedure is completed and do you just repeat the same procedure for each powder/bullet combination? I am considering 3 different powders and, maybe, 2 different bullets.

Chuck
Old 02-20-2010, 12:12 PM
PUBLISHER

Jerry, I notice that velocities for a given load increase as the round count increases to about 60 or so. I have not noticed whether pressure signs seem to increase?

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 02-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesasmith View Post
MR:

Like your method of breaking in a barrel while testing for max loads based on pressure signs. I am going to try that on my .20 practical new barrel. My question is how many different powders/bullets will you use for testing after the break-in procedure is completed and do you just repeat the same procedure for each powder/bullet combination? I am considering 3 different powders and, maybe, 2 different bullets.

Chuck
Chuck,

Since making that post back in Sept, I've done a couple of break-ins using Gun Juice. I found the Gun Juice when left wet in the bore, per instructions, greatly incresed my pressures. Since then, I have concluded that it's best to do the break-in prior to a GJ if you're going to do a GJ treatment. I think it's OK to do initial load devolpment in order to find max pressure loads, but I wouldn't look for accuracy results until after the break-in is complete. When doing your charge/pressure testing during break-in, make sure your bore is completly free of any cleaning residuees and dry, as it can affect pressure.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 02-20-2010, 05:19 PM

Thanks Mark. Have a cabin on the Madison between Ennis and West Yellowstone. What area are you located in?

Chuck
Old 02-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

Chuck,

I'm just South of Bozeman. That upper Madison is beautiful country. Papoose creek is one of my elk hunting haunts - a good place for bagging a cow and a lot of good LR opportunities there. Shedhorn Sports is my favorite "local" gun store.

Mark
Old 11-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Silver Member

That was vary good thanks.I need some advice here going to back to the vary basics here. I got this old 700 .06 cut recrowned 20 1/2" 1 in 10 twist it shoots factory win ammo sub MOA at a 100. Ok so I get the bright idea Iam going to start reloading. So I am set up and going case prep is coverd I think every thing is the same fire formed neck sized brass. Using Hodgddon BL-C(2) 49.0 gr figured shoter barrle faster powder and Hornady #3037 150 gr FMJ/BT and #3033 150 gr BTSP. The FMJ flew great but the SP don't. So I bought one of them RCBS precision mics. so I can get all the measurement's. So here it is seating depth or powder charge. Any help would be great
Old 11-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva54 View Post
That was vary good thanks.I need some advice here going to back to the vary basics here.
So here it is seating depth or powder charge. Any help would be great
Powder charge will almost always produce a more noticeable change in accuracy than seating depth. After the powder charge has been tweaked to find good accuracy, then you might try modifying the bullet seating depths to see if accuracy can be further improved.

Different bullets in the same rifle will typically have their own optimum powder, powder charge, and seating depth. I wouldn't expect the FMJs to produce their best accuracy using the same load combination - as the soft point bullets. FWIW