Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Load Tuning By Jerry Teo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Load Tuning By Jerry Teo

Quote:
You just got your new rig home and are ready to get it shooting its best. But what is a way to get it dialed in without spending a fortune, burning up the barrel and taking multiple trips to the range?

This was a problem I faced years ago when I made the plunge into LR hunting. The most common method was to load up a bunch of ammo while varying one thing (usually powder in 1/2gr increments), shooting a few 5rds groups and 'working up'. When the best load was found, some other changes might be made like powder, bullet, primer, seating depth, neck tension. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Load Tuning, By Jerry Teo. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Load Tuning By Jerry Teo

Thanks, Jerry, for sharing your experience here. Great article.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 09-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Silver Member

Thank you for the lesson.

For some reason load tuning is still overlooked by some. Many people that I know still think load tuning is walking it up to a max velocity, and then blaming accuracy problems on the rifle.

Your method is much like my own, and it is a must with any rifle.

‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’ — Richard Henry Lee, 1787
Old 09-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member

I've tried a variation of this method with good effect. I generally use a full 3 rnds, but I guess I should start going out further to make sure I am on. Thanks! By the way, whats a Mystic? I see a 7mm and 338 Mystic!

Tank

PM me if you would as not to get off subject on this topic.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 09-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Platinum Member

I learned alot from your article Jerry, especially about the vertical vs. horizontal groups, makes sense. I have been wasting ammo on poor attemps at load developments. I did luck out with .5MOA groups, but i find that they open up with temp changes, guess its back to the bench for me.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

Jerry thanks for the teaching.
Very interesting article, will try your method and looks loke will save some ammo.
Thank you.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Silver Member

thanks Jerry. good to learn that what i was doing was kind of right. but was doing it at 100yrds. will take it out further at recheck. the clocking concept is a new one and make heaps of sence. now just to look at old target and ill recognise it. thanks again.