Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Leveling the Scope Reticle for Long Range Rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Doc,

That's really like comparing apples and oranges, because a good boresight collimator has many uses. I own a laser boresighter and always use a collimator instead. Part of the problem is that the bore attachments for the laser boresighters that fit in the muzzle are are poorly constructed. The laser is usually far from parallel to the bore.

The lasers that fit in the chamber have similar issues. At best, they tell you the direction the chamber is pointed, whereas you want to know the direction the bore at the muzzle is pointed. Similarly, lasers that attach to the muzzle crown indicate the direction the crown is pointed.

The boresight collimator can be used anywhere and takes about a minute to install. Lasers are difficult to use in tight quarters, like the garage, shop or inside the house. A long distance, usually 25 feet or more, is need to see the laser spot through the scope. And it takes a while to set lasers up: a reflective target is usually needed to see the laser in bright daylight.

Most shooters think of lasers and collimators as devices for zeroing optical sights. A collimator is a general purpose instrument that allows reproducible measurements of boresight misalignment. When I install a scope on a rifle, I use the collimator several times during the process to check boresight alignment of the rings. Finally, I use it to set the optical zero. However, barrel vibration will usually cause a sporter weight barrel to throw shots several inches away from the bore direction. A boresight collimator is often no more accurate for zeroing than looking down the bore.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Silver Member

Re: Leveling the Scope Reticle for Long Range Rifles

Dr. Winker,

Thank you very much for your indepth answer. Very much appreciated!

Doc

"History does not long trust the care of freedom to the weak or timid" Dwight David Eisenhower
Sic Semper Tyrannis...Veritas et Aequitas

Old 01-29-2013, 11:31 AM
Bronze Member

If the elevated POI falls to the right of center, rotate the scope right. When the scope is then re-aimed at the "plumb" target line the muzzle will naturally follow - in this case, moves to the left.

Just picture the scope mounted 45 deg from bore center. If you rotate it farther left the point of impact will fall farther right. The reticle is always plumb when looking at the target, it's only the bore CL (POI) that changes.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Bronze Member

Sorry guys, I believe I have it figured out now.
Thanks rick523 for the info

Last edited by kermodie; 01-30-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:30 PM

You have me scratchin my head, would you care to share ,Thanks
Old 02-07-2013, 04:02 PM

I purchased the Wheeler Level Level Level's a couple of years ago and have used them to readjust the scope's on all my rifles....would these level's be applicable to the technical aspects of this thread... ???
Old 02-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I'm not sure how to answer that question. The Wheeler levels are a variation of method 5. They work fine for short range.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent