Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Leveling the Scope Reticle for Long Range Rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Leveling the Scope Reticle for Long Range Rifles

Quote:
Ask five different shooters how to level a rifle scope reticle and you'll probably get five very different answers. Anyone who has installed a rifle scope has given this some thought and developed a process. Are all these methods just different ways of getting to the same result? Are there any special considerations for long range shooting?
This article looks at the unique requirements for leveling the reticle for long-range shooting. Different methods of leveling a reticle are compared and typical alignment errors are given for each method.
Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Leveling the Scope Reticle for Long Range Rifles, By Bruce Winker. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:24 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Leveling the Scope Reticle for Long Range Rifles

I recently bought a Wheeler professional scope leveler. If this thing really does get it level, and the shot is left or right of center 20" higher, then I am wondering if by turning the scope tube, I am just canting it which is defeating my purpose. How good are these units?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:02 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

The Wheeler product does a really good job of aligning the turret to a flat horizontal surface on the receiver. This is a variation of method 5 in the article. It's great for short range, but susceptible to rifle manufacturing and alignment errors at long range.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 01-24-2013, 08:04 AM

If the scope is offset, like say on a win 30-30, the crosshairs would be canted so the verticle axis would go through the center of the bore, I'm guessing you would need to hold the gun with the verticle axis of the crosshairs plumb when shooting, with the gun canted?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Walkin, in theory that's correct. In practice, 30-30 is not a long range cartridge. Even if the reticle alignment is off, canting errors will be small at ranges up to 300 yds. Only by pushing the cartridge to 500 yds will canting errors become significant (six inches or more).

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 01-24-2013, 11:36 AM

Bruce,I was basically trying to use that as an extreme example to get it straight in my head . Going to try out the ring true,sako trgs 30-378 and a 257 wby mag vangaurd.

Thanks for the reply
Old 01-26-2013, 11:31 AM
PUBLISHER

I must confess that since I was busy lately I had not read this article carefully until this morning. Very impressive. I feel it is THE definitive article on reticle leveling anywhere out there. Nice job!

And I just bought one of your Ring True Alignment Tools.