Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Lessons Learned The Hard Way Are Often Worth Repeating! By Darrell Holland

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: Lessons Learned The Hard Way Are Often Worth Repeating! By Darrell Holland

I once gave some scope ring screws an extra bit of tightening "just to be sure" before leaving on a hunting trip. That day I'd been to the range and the zero was great. But probably bouncing along the bumpy road home the screws loosened up just enough to let the reticle cant over about 7 degrees. I got to my friend's cabin and he looked through the scope and brought it to my attention. We had a hex wrench close in size but those screws weren't coming loose. So I had the "honor" of following him around and helping him carry out a mighty fine mulie buck that I spotted.

Since then, I've gone with the highest quality picatinny rails and rings (usually Seekins) and always doublecheck that everything looks right and is tight...and I bring along tools, at least to have back at the vehicle. I don't mind saying that I have put more into quality optics than into rifles these days as well. I fell hard enough on a snow-covered slope last season that my NF 2.5-10X32 bruised the inside of my arm. I took two shots from it down at the trailhead on a box I set up a 100 yards away. It still was zeroed.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Lessons Learned The Hard Way Are Often Worth Repeating! By Darrell Holland

jonoMT, good point on the tools. I hate it when I get to the range and need a tool I left at the house 35 miles away.