Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

How To Photograph Your Big Game Trophy by Troy Adams

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Administrator

How To Photograph Your Big Game Trophy by Troy Adams

This is the thread for discussion of the article: How To Photograph Your Big Game Trophy by Troy Adams

Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article. The author will have this thread automatically notify him of posts so he can join the discussion.

Last edited by Len Backus; 08-18-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:42 AM
Platinum Member

That is a really great article and has lots of things I didn't know.

The part about cleaning up your site before taking the picture I had figured out too late last year. Here is a picture of an antelope I shot last at very long range and was very proud of. The half drunk bottle of Coke right in the middle of the picture just really makes me mad every time I see it. I spent a good bit of time trying to get things right (but didn't know about "worms eye view" and not using the telephoto lens). I could crop or edit it, but I would still remember being careless with my camera

Old 06-05-2008, 03:27 PM
SPONSOR

BuffaloBob, glad to know you learned something. That coke bottle can easily be removed with PhotoShop, but like you said it serves as a good reminder. I do have to say that stock on your rifle is absolutely killer looking though. I wouldn't mind seeing a couple more photos of that rifle from different angles. What are some of the details about that great looking rifle?
Old 06-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

That is a Joel Russo stock. Joel is a good person and his stocks are great.

He just built me a "one of a kind" thing which I will probably get ready for public viewing in early July.

He makes a laminated A3-A5 hybrid which to me is like a thumbhole in the way it feels so comfortable and natural but doesn't have the disadvantages of the thumbhole. It has all the advantages of the A5. I don't have one yet and that is something that needs to be remedied

Best of all, Joel shoots a 240 Wby like me!!!!

The antelope was killed at 1140 yards and the shot was a little "far back" as they say. The rifle covers the entrance wound. The 115 Berger makes such an ugly exit even at that range that the animal had to be turned and drug a ways to "clean it up".

I agree with you about the need to clean the animal up. I had never thought about just cutting the tongue off. How simple some things can be. Some times I just really feel stupid and that is why this forum is such a great place
Old 06-06-2008, 05:09 PM
SPONSOR

Do you have anymore photos of that rifle you used for the antelope. I just really dig the design and color or that stock. I should have known it was a Russo stock. I have looked into his stocks before and I am never disappointed. He seems to make some really good stuff.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post

He just built me a "one of a kind" thing which I will probably get ready for public viewing in early July.

The suspense is killing me...

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"
Old 06-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

I keep forgetting to post the pictures

Here are the two sides. The foreend is squared up so it is easy to shot from bags but I tested it from bags and bipod and POI was the same. The good thing is you can take a half round rasp (shoemakers rasp) and shape the thumbhole and grip to fit your hand and your preference in finger placement. I never misplace the trigger with this rifle because the thumbhole indexes my hand to be in the right place.

With a laminate if you sand through the layers correctly you can create "patterns". Joel can make them in any mixture of color laminates you wish. I just finished mine with sealer and Truoil. Other people use fancy automotive stuff.

This rifle has accounted for 8 antelope so far with yardages of 600, 686, 800, 860 and 1140. Only three under 500 yards.