Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

How Do I Know What To Buy? By Jeremy Knepp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2009, 01:58 PM

Re: How Do I Know What To Buy? By Jeremy Knepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
Depending on the budget, I like the Burris Signature Z Rings, or the Burris XTR. There are much more expensive rings out there, but these are the rings I have used and like.

Blessings,

Jeromy

I know you like Savage and I do too ,but I;ve been wondering if I should wait until their Long Range Hunter 6.5-284 comes out. Would it be better to get the 26" instead of the 28?
Its listed as 6.5 Norma. What is Norma??
Thanks Jeremy always appreciate your help!

Old 12-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

A few years ago Norma of Sweden picked-up on the increasing popularity of the 6.5mm-284, got the cartridge standardized by the European CIP, loaded it with Nosler bullets and introduced it in their ammunition line. Now that it has been standardized, the former wildcat's proper name is "6.5mm-284 Norma.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:25 PM

Jeromy....just reread your article for the third time. Wow, so well written and in layman's terms that us newbie's can understand. Thanks so much. Also, after sending you a few pm's and having you respond almost immediately, I have taken the plunge and purchased the Savage Model 12 F/TR in 308 cal. that I told you about. I also gave Phil Miller my 300RUM to have the trigger worked on and glass bed the stock. Leupold is going to install 2 target turrets for me on the Leupold VariX-3. I just couldn't bring myself to part with it so that's the reason for the upgrades. This way I'll have 2 LRers to brake in!!! Just like in the old gum commercial, "Double your pleasure, double your fun."
Old 12-29-2009, 07:31 AM
Platinum Member

Great upgrades on existing and choice on new. 308 and 300rum your just about setup for everything.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

Sounds like some good decisions made. I'm glad that I could help you out. Hopefully we can get together when it warms up a little.

As far as the writing, just want to thank everybody for the compliments. I felt it was too long, but there is just so much info that it is difficult to use so few words to describe everything without leaving something of importance out. I did notice to mention about aftermarket stocks, but.... oh well. Next time.

Jeromy
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-29-2009, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Liltank, I don't mind long...usually it's more clear and better to understand...and if your learning like me that's a good thing.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:44 AM

Excellent article! I found the emphasis on a good scope and base (and rings) excellent advice!