Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

How Do I Know What To Buy? By Jeremy Knepp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Administrator

How Do I Know What To Buy? By Jeremy Knepp

Quote:
Plenty of questions regarding equipment, i.e: ammunition, optics, rifle, caliber, and effective range are common among the new. With all the terminology we throw around like, minute of angle (MOA), feet per second (fps), RL= Reloader powders, the letter H referring to Hodgdon powders, and a myriad of other terms that escape the mind at the moment, it can be confusing when trying to build that perfect rig. Though I am not an authority, nor do I claim to know it all in the realm of killing elk at 1000+yards, I have come to some basic thoughts as to where to start. These all stem from 2 years of consistent research and 25 years of firearms training (personal and military). Seeking knowledge for the betterment of my abilities as a shooter and using the best equipment I can afford is my number one priority. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, How Do I Know What To Buy?, By Jeremy Knepp. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:10 PM
Bronze Member

Re: How Do I Know What To Buy? By Jeremy Knepp

Howdy,

Very nice article. It surely will help me put together my "next" long range rig. I would have liked a discussion about ammo needed for that application; whether handloaded or factory, what to look out for, etc.
Overall, well written and good information.

Thanks,

Coach
Old 12-18-2009, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Hunt View Post
Howdy,

Very nice article. It surely will help me put together my "next" long range rig. I would have liked a discussion about ammo needed for that application; whether handloaded or factory, what to look out for, etc.
Overall, well written and good information.

Thanks,

Coach
Thanks for the well written comment. If there is anything I fear in my writing is poor grammar.

Well I wasn't sure how long I wanted to make this thing. That gives me an idea for maybe another article then. I was trying to keep the info as to the point as I could, but I didn't want it to be too general. I could added another couple of pages had I kept going. I really get into this stuff when I start thinking about rifles, shooting and reloading is just another article in its self. I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

Jeromy
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!

Last edited by liltank; 12-18-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

Jeremy,
Nice article, enjoyed it a lot. Fits me perfectly for the moment. I actually have a 270 Win that I am trying to upgrade to shoot farther out than what I used to, and right now I am in the process of choosing the right scope for it, so I can accurately shoot out to maybe 700 yards or so. Enjoyed it a lot. And enjoyed reading that you think the .277 caliber is underrated. That is the rifle I have, and will give it a good try.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:30 AM
Bronze Member

Great information man!! I just asked a lot of those same questions on here and you just helped me a ton. I have a Bushnell Elite on a SPS Rem 700 300rum. I just got sent back to Remington to get the action fixed.

If this problem with may rum can't be fixed what would you suggest I get if I want a custom gun in the .338 rang for long range hunting elk.

Thanks
JP
Old 12-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Hunter View Post
If this problem with may rum can't be fixed what would you suggest I get if I want a custom gun in the .338 rang for long range hunting elk.

Thanks
JP

Well considering I don't own a custom action I can not really point you in one direction. What I can tell you is that a lot of guys like the BAT, Stiller and Lawton actions. If you want to stick with affordable I would suggest a Howa (Mauser based) and the Savage Target action.

My cousin has a 338 Lapua Magnum in a Savage Target action. The advantage to this set up is the following: Left port-right bolt, 6oz. to 1.5lb trigger adjustment, solid one piece action, changeable bolt head if you want to change barrels and calibers on the same system. I wanted to get a picture of it. A lot of guys will tell you this is a bad idea, but his is shooting very well right now and hold Sub MOA to 200yrds so far. You can load single rounds loaded and eject a spent casing. If you have to eject a loaded round then you have to pull the bolt. Its really not that big of a deal.

Howa offers a Mauser based action off of the Model 98 Mauser. The Mauser 98 is a very beloved action for benchrest shooters of the past and hunting rifle builds. The Howa is a very solid action and I like the way the Howa ejects. It won't push your brass into the side of the action. I have owned and shot a custom Howa that shot one hole groups when I did my part. The problem with Howa as many of the other manufacturers, you need a gunsmith to do the tuning on the action and the trigger. Still for the money and performance it is worth every dime.

Savage does offer a Long action repeater unbarreled. You can also purchase a Howa Barreled Long Action. In this instance I would have the barrel removed and sell it. My cousin has chosen a BAT action for his next build. He does his research, so there is something that is telling him that is the way to go. Me personally, I am a Savage finatic. I love there new actions, and their ability to shoot very well out of the box. Savage has started making a Lapua in their new police line of rifle. So far the buzz is good. So that may be another option to consider.

Hope this helps,
Jeromy
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks Jeremy that helps a lot!

JP