Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

How To Camouflage Paint Your Rifle By Greg Ballard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 11:48 AM

Re: How To Camouflage Paint Your Rifle By Greg Ballard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARPredatorHunters View Post
Yes, Len. I have had my FFL approved and should have the license within a week or so and this would allow me to receive in guns and such in order to coat them for customers.
Nice looking work Mr. Ballard! I had a question regarding which FFL you applied for in order to maintain posession of someone elses firearm while just painting it. I've looked at ATF's website, and it looks like I need a dealers license, but I'm not sure. I've done some Krylon job's recently that my friends would like me to do to theirs. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Bronze Member

Yes, you will need a dealers license.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:45 AM

My sniper partners and I came up with a very similar method, right down to spraying paint into a cup to get just the liquid. The only difference is we used scraps of terry cloth towel instead of a foam brush for the color overlays. It adds some texture to the pattern and softens the edges of each color change. You can overlap colors and cause them to fade in/out of each. The occasional touch-up of the wear areas is easy.

"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men." - Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
Old 11-30-2009, 08:32 AM
Bronze Member

I have also used the terry cloths as well as a myriad of other things to get nice patterns onto the items. Krylon is good in the fact that you can repair it or just totally remove it and replace it without too much effort as it does not hang on to the surface extremely well and will not withstand chemicals such as acetone very well.

For those who have a need to change camo to better suit their immediate surroundings, such as military snipers, then rattle cans are a good solution.
Those who do not wish to get the equipment because they are only going to paint one or two rifles and those who just enjoy being creative and would like to paint their rifle themselves then Krylon is a good solution. For those who want to have a very durable and protective camo paint work put onto their rifle that will last for many years then they should look into Duracoat or Cerakote

Outside of the costs of the equipment to prep and apply the paint and more time required to get a professional looking paint job, enough Duracoat to paint your rifle is not that much more expensive than having to buy 4 cans of Krylon to get the same coverage. It is the equipment and skill in using it and the time required to get that professional looking job that makes the duracoat paint works cost a couple hundred dollars.

Shoot straight and shoot often
Old 01-01-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmason View Post
Greg,

Do you sand or "rough up" any of the surfaces after you've removed the oils? When your painting plastic type parts what to you use to prepare those surfaces? I've always wanted to give this a try but was afaid the finsh wouldn't adhear well and would end up flaking off. Outstanding paint job by the way!!
You can and should use what is called an "adhesion promoter". This product is available at wal-mart under the brand name "bulldog". It is recomended for
plastics, aluminum and stainless steel.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Bronze Member

Mr. Ballard, good article. And grate work!

Not to hijack this conversation about your article but have you used the Duracoat clear, over the Kryon? Seams that everyone reading is also interested in the different paints and paint types. Seams that an epoxy clear, not necessarily Duracoat, over the Kryon would keep cost down and the finish very durable.

Regards Mike.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Bronze Member

Yes, I have sprayed DuraCoat clear over Krylon before and it worked, but I would much rather spray the whole rifle in Duracoat start to finish. to get a look at some of that work you can visit:

OnTargetCustoms Home Page