Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

How To Camouflage Paint Your Rifle By Greg Ballard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Bronze Member

Re: How To Camouflage Paint Your Rifle By Greg Ballard

Most of the true film dips that I see offered on rifles that do not already have a coating on them run in the neighborhood of 500 dollars for the complete rifle. A Duracoat job on a stock applied by a professional is about 135 dollars.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Bronze Member

More like $325. Rifle, rings and scope!

Camo Rifle Stock Finish Prices
Old 09-28-2008, 01:59 PM

True, krylon is the easiest to use, clean up and touch up. But with practice, Duracoat will give you one of the longest and toughest applications. Once you buy the kit, your set for another use on another day. Just have to get the duracoat paint colors you need.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Bronze Member

Krylon or rattle can paint jobs are the item of this topic as they are the cheapest and easiest to do and require no special tools that a person might not have and they do produce a efficient and workable camo coating. I do a lot of Duracoat paint work also. To do really good Duracoat jobs you would want to get at a minimum a really good airbrush or three such as a Paasche or an Iwata, then you will also need a compressor with regulator and water traps. An HVLP gun and a media blasting cabinet are also very good things to have, and a neccessity for those who do this for customers. You will also either need to purchase or have the tools and capacity to build a huge variety of stencils. Duracoat colors cost about 320 dollars a gallon and the clear goes at about 500 dollars a gallon so Krylon is a bit cheaper.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:54 AM
PUBLISHER

Greg, I think you told me you are going to be doing camo work for others. Are you now ready to accept orders if someone on the site has an interest? Your work looks just great!

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 09-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Bronze Member

Yes, Len. I have had my FFL approved and should have the license within a week or so and this would allow me to receive in guns and such in order to coat them for customers.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:44 PM
PUBLISHER

Good for you!

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors