Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

How To Camouflage Paint Your Rifle By Greg Ballard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2008, 07:59 PM
PUBLISHER

How To Camouflage Paint Your Rifle By Greg Ballard

This is the thread for discussion of the article: How To Camouflage Paint Your Rifle
By Greg Ballard

Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article. The author will have this thread automatically notify him of posts so he can join the discussion.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors

Last edited by Len Backus; 10-10-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:53 AM
Platinum Member

Greg,

Do you sand or "rough up" any of the surfaces after you've removed the oils? When your painting plastic type parts what to you use to prepare those surfaces? I've always wanted to give this a try but was afaid the finsh wouldn't adhear well and would end up flaking off. Outstanding paint job by the way!!
Old 07-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Bronze Member

Ideally on plastic you would do such a thing. You can simply scrub it with a scotch brite pad to rough it up while you are cleaning it with acetone or MEK and get it pretty clean and this will help the paint stick to it. For the professional types of jobs it would be a media blasting a couple of times with something like a 60 grit oxide. Plastic is made out of oil, and it will leach out oil again with some time so all the cleaning and prep in the world can't prevent this.

Krylon is not going to be the longest lasting paint job in the world, but does pretty well and is very cheap to do any touching up if required. It is pretty difficult to get any sort of paint to stick for a long time to items such as the Butler Creek Flip Covers that go onto the scopes. You will notice that I skipped painting the rubberized grips on the AR15 as it won't last too long there with the acidic sweat and general wear from your hands as you use the gun. A clear finish helps quite a bit as you first have to wear through or scratch through the clear to get to the color.

There are many other gun finishing products that one can use that outlast Krylon a good amount of time. I use DuraCoat quite a bit, but I wanted to write this one using a method that about anybody can do and at a price that about anybody can afford. I just completed one of the DuraCoat jobs on my new coyote rifle and it is shown below.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the reply!! Man you do some nice lookin work!!!

Last edited by jmason; 07-03-2008 at 10:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Gold Member

Re: How To Camouflage Paint Your Rifle By Greg Ballard

Won't acetone eat away at the plastic stock? I was thinking of doing this to my stock only, and I have a H-S Varmint stock. Is acetone safe to use? The H-S stock are already textured. Or would it really be better to go with Lauer Custom paints? Or have the gun sent out to Bell & Carlson?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Bronze Member

You are only wiping the acetone across the surface to clean it and it evaporates rather quickly and it doesn't "eat" the plastic stocks. Yes, It is better to go with the DuraCoat, on a durability basis, and if you want to shell out the dollars then you can also have the gun film dipped. Krylon is cheap and if you mess up it cleans off easily and then you can do it again or easily touch up and you don't need any special equipment like HVLP guns, compressors, Airbrushes and media blasting cabinets ...
Old 09-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Gold Member

$84.95 without shipping and handling for dipped stock finishes @ Rifle Stocks Available Finishes. Or DuraCoat is up to $98.75 for kit. This is something that I want to last as I use my rifle a lot.