Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Group Therapy - The Problem: How Accurate Is Your Rifle? By Denton Bramwell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Group Therapy - The Problem: How Accurate Is Your Rifle? By Denton Bramwell

This is a thread for discussion of the article, Group Therapy - The Problem: How Accurate Is Your Rifle?, By Denton Bramwell. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Group Therapy - The Problem: How Accurate Is Your Rifle? By Denton Bramwell

In Figure 4 is difficult to figure out what the units are for the horizontal axis. Without knowing that it is difficult to do anything but take you word for what the analysis actually proves.

Secondly, I was reviewing the results of the recent Cactus benchrest match and it appears that there is exactly the data available for you to determine if your hypothetical calculation actually transfers into the real world where data is not generated by random numbers but is actually determined by factors such as how well the recoil lug is bedded and what direction the wind is blowing from. You could take five shooters from the top and five from the middle and five from close to the bottom and see if their groups size is normally distributed which I suspect it is not and further I suspect that the kurtosis is greatly different and that there will be positive skewness.

It is an interesting article but Figure 4 just lost me.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Silver Member

You mensioned how well the recoil lug was bedded. How tight do you like it? Right now on mine you have to wiggle the action ALL the way down.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

If you wish to start a fight go post that question under Gunsmithing. It doesn't matter what I like, the gunsmith will bed it however he likes and then if he sees one of my bedding jobs he will ask why I messed the gun up and do I wish for him to fix it.

About once very six months I go see Eddie Harren to have him fix one of my rifles. He just looks at me like I should not be allowed to own a gun because it is always the same problem. I am sloppy and spill solvent while cleaning and it just runs every where and gets into every thing and causes all manner of grief. Eddie always fixes it and then gives me a lecture and I always promise to be neater. That reminds me, I need to order another 55 gallon drum of solvent.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Silver Member

no not trying to start a fight. But I see persenal pref.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Well, we might as well hijack this thread being as it does not appear the owner is going to come and answer my question.

There are two ways of bedding a rifle and for the average hunter either way works if done properly.

First is the way you and I learned to do it which is to bed the recoil lug in as tight as possible on all sides so you can just barely get it back out.

Second way is to apply a layer of tape to the left and right side of the recoil lug and one or two layers to the front of the recoil lug and then bed the lug. Once the goo has cured you take the action out and take off the tape and put the action back in. This leaves the recoil lug in contact at the bottom and at the back and no contact on the sides and front.

I do not understand why a rifle will be accurate with freedom of the recoil lug to move right and left but I have one bedded that way and it is fine. And lots and lots of gunsmith use that method to build really accurate rifles so the fact that I do not understand just means that it is a good thing I am not a gunsmith. In my opinion it is best to let a gunsmith build a rifle the way they are comfortable doing and to choose one that knows how to build what you want built.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:38 PM

The image switcher virus somehow modified Figure 4. Here is the correct one. It should make more sense now.