Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Google Earth And GPS Based BLM Maps For Hunt Planning By Len Backus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Google Earth And GPS Based BLM Maps For Hunt Planning By Len Backus

Quote:
My hunting friend and LRH member, Troy Adams, put me on to the use of Google Earth for hunt planning several years ago. I have used Google Earth quite a bit since then. But it wasn’t until I learned of GPS based BLM maps that Google Earth became such an incredible planning tool for hunting planning out west. Google Earth has always been a good planning tool to study topography as well as cropland, as well as tree and brush cover. Now using the GPS based BLM maps, property ownership boundaries can easily be overlaid onto a Google Earth view, making the whole process much more effective.

During the 2009 Wyoming deer season I came across a hunter on public land north of Gillette as both of us were taking a break in the late morning. I remarked on how it was tough to know just where some of the jogging public land boundaries were on the piece that he and I were hunting. He said it wasn’t too bad since he had started using a BLM type GPS map that was installed on his unit. As soon as he showed it to me I knew I had to have one of these maps.

Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Google Earth And GPS Based BLM Maps For Hunt Planning, By Len Backus. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Gold Member

Re: Google Earth And GPS Based BLM Maps For Hunt Planning By Len Backus

Len, nice informative article. I would like to get set up with a newer mapping GPS as well as the software. Do you have any experience with the below mentioned GPS? Will it be effective with this software? Thanks, Bryan

GPSMAP 60 CSX
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=310
Old 05-19-2010, 07:52 AM
PUBLISHER

Moman, that unit has the Micro SD card capability so it is a fine candidate. I use the Garmin Oregon 300 which has a larger screen and touch screen technology. Costs more, though.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 06-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Silver Member

Great article Len.

I think I need the downloadable version so I can use the google earth overlay option. I have a Garmin Oregon 400t for a GPS. Will I still need any other software to use this on my computer and GPS?

In the article it sounded like you had the Garmin Mapsource program also.

A couple weeks ago in WY prarie dog shooting it would have been nice to have on my GPS so we could have know for sure where the property lines were!
Old 06-07-2010, 06:05 PM
PUBLISHER

Quote:
Will I still need any other software to use this on my computer and GPS?
Yes, I use Garmin's free Mapsource program.

I returned from a few days of scouting in the Big Horns yesterday.

The Google Earth pre-scouting I did at home put me right onto the places I wanted to hike while out there.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:57 AM

Len:

Does the LRH software have instructions on how to overlay the BLM maps with Google? If not, are you aware of any anywhere else on the net?

Got my Oregon, just need to figure out how to get maps into it now.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:34 AM
PUBLISHER

Here you go:

Using Google Earth