Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Getting Started In Tactical Rifle Competition By Ed Shell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Getting Started In Tactical Rifle Competition By Ed Shell

This is a thread for discussion of the article, Getting Started In Tactical Rifle Competition, By Ed Shell. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:06 PM

Re: Getting Started In Tactical Rifle Competition By Ed Shell

Excellent article! It has a little something for everyone that participates, or is considering to participate in long range tactical matches. Good read
Old 04-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

You should add a "blindfold" to the equipment list for the fathers that shoot with their daughters. It is most effective if applied to the daughter during the match; however, failing that one can wear it oneself when the scores are posted.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

Thank you BK410!

Buffalobob, I actually double up on the ear protection when her scores are tallied up . . .

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:01 AM

How do I find "local" competitions

Hello - newbie here. I want to get into this kind of competition, but, I am from Western NYS. Willing to travel a 300 - 400-- mile radius. Is there anyplace I can find listings posted of the kind of competition described in this article. Sounds like a blast. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Silver Member

TmbrWlkr,

There are several matches held within "reasonable" traveling distance for you.

At the end of this month, one of the local clubs here in central Maryland is holding a tactical/precision shooting match on April 26th. They have a few more of these planned for the upcoming season too:
Mayberry Precision Tactical Match

Reade Range, near Altoona, PA, had a tactical competition on the 29th of March, and holds different style shoots periodically:
Reade Range Home Page

There is the WV Allegheny Sniper Challenge coming up in Mid-May, but AFAIK the roster is already filled and these matches are not held on a regular basis.

We shoot the F-class matches at Quantico in between, and several other clubs hold 600 to 1,000 precision rifle shoots, such as the Bridgeville club in DE. I'd bet there are opportunities even closer to you than this, like Mifflinburg, PA.

Once you start shooting some of the matches and get on the various mailing lists, you should find quite a bit going on.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:21 AM

I am also a newbie in the Raliegh NC area. Any info on NC based organizations?