Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Get Smart Ballistically - Use A Ballistics Program By Darrell Holland

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

Re: Get Smart Ballistically - Use A Ballistics Program By Darrell Holland

Yobuck is kinda right and kinda wrong. I started hunting and match shooting back in the middle 50's. We made up dope charts by shooting and keeping a log. I still do, but now I have a computer and some great free programs like you'll find at 4shared - free file sharing and storage - share folder - My 4shared

Now days I settle on a load, enter the data, print up a dope sheet, go to the range and fire the dope sheet. Then I go back to the computer and fiddle the data untill the dope sheet matches the real range info. Then I print a verified dope sheet to attach to my gear. The best computer program in the world won't match real world conditions but they sure save a lot of ammo gettin it right.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Gold Member

i will admit to being kinda wrong regarding the use of programs while working up loads.
but then i havent changed my loads in many years.
i am doubtful however when told the proper load can be established without actually firing the gun.
im also doubtful when told with the use of weather meters, cosign indicators, calculators and the like, one shot kills can be expected at serious distances.
im of the opinion that weather meters give wind information on the spot.
not much help when shooting across a wide valley of 1000 yds. or more, where wind could be blowing in several directions, at different speeds.
untill somebody actually proves me wrong, ill still put my faith in my spotter, and not bother to own the other stuff.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Silver Member

And that's where we agree 100%. In my view the computer programs are great for predicting what a bullet will do at a given range, at a given temp, altitude and wind. Like you, most of my loads were worked up many years ago and still do just fine. The one change I have made was to use VMAX bullets in my different Varmint rifles.

The change in BC required new dope sheets. I plugged the new numbers into my computer and took the results to my local 600 yard range. The firing results did not match the computer model so I adjusted the BC and MV input until they did. My favorite Dog town is 2000 feet higher in elevation than my home range and usually 50 degrees warmer. When the new dope sheets were adjusted and applied to that dog town I was in the ballpark. I still had to figure the range, dope the wind, work the mirage and pull the trigger.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:00 PM

Install Data Card Software question

I've been able to run the software from the disk. How do I install it to my hard drive?

Bob