Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Get Smart Ballistically - Use A Ballistics Program By Darrell Holland

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Get Smart Ballistically - Use A Ballistics Program By Darrell Holland

This is a thread for discussion of the article, Get Smart Ballistically - Use A Ballistics Program By Darrell Holland. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

The author will have this thread automatically notify him of posts so that he can join the discussion. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Get Smart Ballistically - Use A Ballistics Program By Darrell Holland

--->The buck that “Big Al” killed last year at 600 yards with a top of the back hold and a 100 yard zero is now classified as B.S. <---

It's amaizing how often you hear a story like that in the Bar!

I have not yet purchased a Balistic Programn. For those of you that have used them, how would you compare them to something like JBM?
Old 12-23-2008, 04:22 PM

Free ballistics programs are out there for Palm pilots, etc. My fav is Freeware Palm: pocket SSF (Sharpshooter Friend) v0.995 It seems to be fairly powerfull. I like it's data base capability to switch between a number of different gun set ups and it's Mil dot screen showing where to place the dot for your wind and distance reading (also has moa clicks listed)
Old 01-23-2009, 08:27 AM

I have been using the program that came with my shooting crony chronograph and it works great it has all the basics (bullet drop, wind drift, bullet energy at range etc.....) it has been invaluable to me when making a new load for a specific purpose
Old 01-23-2009, 09:40 AM
SPONSOR

JBM is good.
I don't use the web based ones though since I have Exbal, Sierra's and Holland's.

I really like Holland's for making handy drop charts for field use.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the info Ernie
Old 02-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Gold Member

i doubt many would argue the value of modern equiptment and technolegy. ( bear with me, i dont have spell check) i certainly dont argue it.
problem is some of us were around this activity when there wasent any, or at least not much of it.
it used to be there were very few bullets to choose from.
click charts were made, by shooting various distances. (and yes i did say click charts)
now im not insinuating we all go back to that method. but fact is it did work, and it worked very well.
we are now being led to believe we cant shoot our way out of a barn unless we have all sorts of gadgets to measure things.
and we better have a $2000 scope to dial it all into.
i will remind you, that at the past super shoot held in july at williamsport, about 1/3 of the heavy gun shooters were unable to keep all their shots on paper.
so much for expert wind reading, and there arent better experts than these guys.
in a hunting situation, across those wide valleys, there are no experts.
it can change while your chambering the next round.
there is a major difference between big als barroom b.s., and very succesful hunters who dont subscribe to all the other b.s.
just one opinion, others are welcome to their own.