Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Gear For Dall Sheep Hunting by Michael Eichelle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
I wouldnt say I have been dissapointed with the old remington 788 I used on my first sheep hunt. It did fine. I just prefer a heavier rig and dont mind packing the extra pounds. I prefer heavier because it affords me a bit better stability when shooting from a really windy ridge top as well as less effects of the dreaded cold bore shot due to the more ridged barrel. Dall sheep hunting can be done in 80 degree weather or below freezing, sometimes well below the freezing mark. So I prefer to cut down on the cold bore effects by using a stiffer barrel rather than a long skinny whippy barrel. I also prefer very heavy duty scope rings and bases for the occasional bumps and bruises so ofter incured during a sheep hunt due to the rough terrain. Each hunter would want to take their most trusted rifle into sheep country. For me, it is my 11 pound 308.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.