Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Gear For Dall Sheep Hunting by Michael Eichelle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2007, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the reply,at this time I have only been using factory loads.Hornady 100 BTSP light mags and Winchester 100 sp.I have giving much thought to reloading and Nosler lists a 95 BT @3150.I have also read loads on reloaders nest with 100 SST @3100 and A-Max 105 at about the same.I think I will post in general to see what others have to say about the .243 as I am interested in it's potential.Thanks Again,

SDW
Old 09-20-2007, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
The nice thing about a 243 is that most of the rifles are fairly light weight as are the loaded rounds and it is a highly accurate by nature round. Due to the smallish size of dall sheep and the longer than average shots taken, sheep require alot more accuracy than energy. Most hunters will want to go as light weight and as accurate as possible. The 243 is a strong candidate for one of the best all around dall sheep rifles. 7mm-08, 308 and even some of the short mags are all very good choices for this application.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:20 PM

The light loads and recoil are a big plus as it can eliminate any flinching as well.However my rifle is 10 3/4 lbs.It is very accurate though so I guess it's a trade off.I agree that shot placement is also very important.Some of the hand loads that I have ran through the JBM program do show some promise out to 400-500 yards though.I am thinking that 2000 fps and 1000 lbs energy at those ranges, using Nosler BTs ,Hornady SSTs and A-Maxs ,should work on deer and sheep.Do you agree with these or do you have some other thoughts?

Thanks ,

SDW
Old 09-22-2007, 12:02 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
I tend to agree but only to a point. With the smaller diameter and smaller mass of the projectile you really need a more stout bullet to reach the vitals. The Hornaday BTSP is a fine bullet. The AMAX might be a bit frail for a smaller caliber. The Nosler BT would be a minimum. Dont overlook the X bullet or Partition. I am only preaching these tougher bullets because of the 243's lighter caliber. Dont get me wrong the 243 is a fine cartridge but like anything else it works best when used properly. I have personaly shot the 243 with Hornady BTSP 100 grain bullets at 900 yards with good results. You will have a tough time beating the Hornady Light Mag factory loads with the 100 grain BTSP's for accuracy, energy and good terminal performance.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:28 PM

I have used the Hornady Light Mags with good results so I will keep using them.Thanks for the advice.

SDW
Old 10-02-2007, 03:35 PM

Michael,
Very good article and great advice. From my sheep hunts I would say that I've found the two most important articles or items to have along are: First, the best pair of boots you can afford. Boots that fit well and are adapted to the country you will be hunting. Boots like the Lowa Sheep Hunters for example. The quickest way to ruin a hunt is to have ill fitting or improper boots for the rocks and scree, etc. The second item of gear is pair of trekking or hiking poles with baskets on the ends. These will save your ass in numerous situations and make getting up and down the mountains, safer, easier and save wear and tear on the knees. I won't go on any sheep or goat hunt (or most elk or mule deer hunts) without them.
I agree that sheep are not difficult animals to stop or kill, so many flat shooting rifles including the .243 is an appropriate caliber for sheep. Although sheep are easy to stop, some of the other critters that inhabit the same country are not. Therefore, in choosing a suitable Dall "sheep" caliber I would definitely consider whether I could be encountering an angry brown bruin in an alder thicket and whether something more akin to a .300 win mag or equivalent with 180 Gr. premium bullets like a TSX or Partition might be overall a good choice for Dalls.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:52 PM

rifle weight

Going to a 11 lb. rifle you must have been disappointed with the long range accuracy of say an 8 lb. rifle under these conditions?