Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Fur Loads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Fur Loads

Quote:
As the fur market rebounds with the perceived economic recovery, harvesting a good useable hide becomes more attractive. Fur markets cycle with the economy and the world fashion trends. They always have and always will. But, the desire to cleanly harvest predators with a minimum of pelt damage goes beyond simple economics. The thought of leaving a marketable hide in the field is just as foreign to some as leaving the backstrap of their deer. Many have hauled hides to the buyer when the proceeds didn’t even cover the fuel. It just seems right to use the resource. Others simply take pride in putting up a nice clean pelt. And, when it comes right down to it, most fur takers would rather hunt than sew, otherwise they would spend their time in front of the fire knitting mittens instead of hunting predators.
Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Fur Loads, By Tim Titus. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Silver Member

Re: Fur Loads

Just wondering if you have tried, or would try 224 Barnes Varmint Grenades in a 50 grain bullet? That is what I have been shooting along with V-Maxes in that weight? Although I have only shot my first Coyote this year (just got into predator hunting) I like the groups I get with them, and the reading I did on the Barnes bullets sounded like an exit hole was pretty much a non issue?
Thanks, Mike
Old 03-25-2011, 11:33 PM
SPONSOR

Mike: I haven't personally used the Varmint Grenade bullets on coyotes but another local coyote hunter with decades of coyote hunting under his belt told me he had used them on several coyotes and was having pretty serious splashing problems from his .223. So, I think you are right about not exiting but you may see some splashing problems with them. I'd stick with the heavier V-maxes in your coyote rifle based on his experience. I will qualify that by saying that I don't recall the weight of VG bullets my friend was using, however. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Tim
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 03-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Tim,
I just got some 75gr. A-maxes, and some 55gr. Combined Technology silver tips (both moly coated) from Midway yesterday. I 'll load some up and go to the range this week.So we'll see how they fly, and then hopefully how they down the deer killers.
I have read about the "splashing" of some bullets on this thread, or another one on LRH, and it sounds like the Barnes Varmint Grenade could very well do that. One shooter said that they would come apart if they hit a wet leaf on a tree? That being said, I think "splashing" would be a likely issue.
By the way, I lived just north of Eureka CA. for a while when I was going to school. Sure is a nice part of the country you live in.
Thanks again, Mike
Old 03-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Bronze Member

We tried the barnes varmint grenades in various weights in .22 and tried some 6mm ones in a 6ppc. JUNK!!!!! In coyotes anyway. We never had a one shot kill with them. While accuraccy is superb just take them out for practice or prairie dogs. I'd try the 50gr nosler bt tip at a medium to high velocity we have had good results, but the best is with the 55gr nosler 6mm bt in the 6ppc's. Pin hole in pin hole out and dead right there!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Silver Member

26 grains of N133 and a 50 grain vmax has been miracle worker in my .223 bolt gun.
I want to see what they do in my AR15

http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64
Old 07-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Silver Member

If your rifle has a fast enough twist a 55 grain tipped triple shock should work very well.

http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64