Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Following Up After The Shot by Shawn Carlock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Tracking down the blood trail of a beer? Dang, now that's talent! There's always a place for those kind of skills. ;)
Old 07-05-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Tracking down the blood trail of a beer? Dang, now that's talent! There's always a place for those kind of skills. ;)
Ah, ya nailed me...... Edited the original post to correct it. Altho' as a Englishman living in NM, I do have highly attuned beer hunting & tracking skills.............;)
Old 08-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Silver Member

Right now in the UK where I Hunt the grass is chest high! The deer are only a meter or so of the floor and so you only see a small target area and thats when their stood on tussocks. I shot one this am and it took me twenty miunutes to find it even tho it was only 107mtrs away from the firing point and it fell to shot :mad:

When hunting/tracking I carry white toilet paper, I mark the POI and then as I'm tracking, I put a square down at each point I see. When you look back you can see where the beast is heading (roughly). At the POI you can hang a strip in the tree. The good thing is its biodegradable so you don't need go an pick it up after, it virtually dissolves when water hits it.

Just
Old 09-28-2009, 02:13 PM

Re: Following Up After The Shot by Shawn Carlock

I use my topo map taking a UTM grid cordinate off the map of the downed animals postion.I get this by taking a heading of the animal on my compass then knowing my postion i measure the distance(distance i shot for off of the rangefinder)useing map scale and direction from compass i plot the animals postion.Then i take this UTM number where the animal is and put in my GPS.Then press the GO TO on GPS and this takes me right to the animal.Hope this makes sense.It is easier than it sounds.It is really worth the time to get to know how to do if you hunt solo and in some of the terrain i hunt Long Range.If anyone wants to no more just let me know maybe i can explain better over the phone.Thanks,Tom TOMECR@aol.com
Old 12-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

Shawn...great article and brings back a lot of memories in these types of situations. Many people just do not realize the difficulty of finding your way accross a canyon for 3/4 mi. with 1/2 hour of daylight left and recovering the animal when you get there. Even a good landmark at times can look completely different when you actually get in the area. I have spent the night a couple of times next to the kill so I could find my way back in the daylight from the opposite direction. This was before GPS. The point you make about a partner is invaluable! One trick is to mark your shooting position, as you mentioned, and laser back when you get to the area the animal was in. I have also used a clinometer to get the angle of trajectory before I leave my shooting position. Using the laser and clinometer on the other end, along with a good compass shot, can get you really close even without any good land marks, i.e.( a large brushfield). After stating all this, I will reference your comment from my "Long range elk mistake" (Use enough horsepower)
Again, GREAT article that should be considered by anyone attempting to take animals at long distance. This may not be so critical in some areas, such as the open country of Montana, but for those of us who are canyon bustin' in north Id., it is imperative....Rich
Old 12-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Silver Member

gman and I use the same tracking technique. I mostly hunt by my self so I mark everything, where the animal was standing when I shot, where I shot from, direction of the tracks, the tracks, it all becomes very handy when it is getting dark and you have been at it for a while.