Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Fitting The Long Range Rifle By Shawn Carlock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Fitting The Long Range Rifle By Shawn Carlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-338 View Post
Might just be an issue of the scope having insufficient eye relief for the caliber...or...shooting in weird field positions...or scope needs to be moved forward...or LOP is too short and you re crowding the scope...might be any of these things. I have a scope I love dearly, but it has dinged me a few times because it doesn't have enough eye relief on highest power or shooting up angle...Check these variables and you'll probably find the answer 30-338 good luck
+1 w/ 30-338. Ive been bit, as we all have at one time or another. It was with a buddys rifle and the ''old school'' Leupold(metal ring) Took a LONG time to get comphy behind a scope again. I had a ttl of 1 7/8'' (including recoil pad) added onto the back of most my Winchesters to get the proper L.O.P. And adjusted my scopes out as far as I could w/o getting any hazing or cloudieness in any of my shooting positions. Im only 5'-10'', but Ive got monkey arms and a Very long neck. When I cradle into my Rifle my L.O.P. and cheek weld look akkward to short(normal) necked folks. Still working on the cheek weld. Now that Ive seen Shawn's article I know my suspicions were correct.

P.S. Disreguard my ''stupid question'' 2 posts above, about finding a manufacturer for cheek weld.
Jmden sent me a P.M. and Ill be ordering a D.E. adjustable cheek weld very soon. D.E. has a cool web site too. No dang popups and flashing sale adds, just good, practicle, usefull, info and supplies. Way to go Shawn. Im sorry I had no idea you made them or Id have looked to D.E. the first time.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 05-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for writting this article, Shawn. I am one of millions that shot from the bench and think that will do for the field. After I read the article, I got my two most used guns I shoot out and did the hand positions for the trigger. I learned alot from reading this piece.

Jason
Old 05-19-2010, 07:30 AM
Sponsor

Glad it helped.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 07-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Bronze Member

Shawn,

Thanks again for the great read... I went to the range and forgot all about my cheek weld and asked someone about my target and the pattern of the holes and he replied your Cheek Weld or trigger pull is doing that... I don't know how many time I've read this and I still let it slip and had my group open up...lol

Steve

I tried to send a post before this one and it didn't go through, or at least I don't think it did. If did opps...
Old 07-19-2011, 07:30 AM
Gold Member

Even though it's a couple of years old - it's a very valuable article. Well worth getting back to the basics of shooter position, cheek weld, trigger control, and heck - I even still use a sling most of the time in the field - one more basic marksmanship tool.

Good work on the article Shawn.

Regards, Guy
Old 07-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy M View Post
Even though it's a couple of years old - it's a very valuable article. Well worth getting back to the basics of shooter position, cheek weld, trigger control, and heck - I even still use a sling most of the time in the field - one more basic marksmanship tool.

Good work on the article Shawn.

Regards, Guy
Funny thing about the truth......Its always true........
Old 06-26-2012, 02:18 AM
Silver Member

Good read, Just the info I was looking for. Glad to see the group shot by the same rifle, looks like something I'm dealing with.

I just had a 338 Edge built and am having trouble with repeatability of groups, sometimes bugholes and sometimes it strings them. Quite strange, I believe it has a lot to do with stock fit and proper postitioning of the scope.

For 1, I think my scope is a tad too far forward, I have to creep forward to get a full field of view.

2nd I think the occular isn't focused properly, seems like I'm too far into the side focus at 100 yards. I would assume for 100 yards the side focus should be near the beginning of its travel. If this is the case I'm assuming paralax could be to blame for some of it?

3rd I don't think my kids camo glove duct taped to my comb is a consistant repeatable platform to get a solid cheek weld on...lol but my strap on tacticool style cheekpiece hasn't arrived yet. I definitly need some comb lift on this jobbie. But at least is camo!!!

4th Maybe the load needs some fine tuning but its hard to believe it could be that tempermental.